Discuss What is the ideal substrate floor for tiling on? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

samnjarv

Hi to everyone using this forum, My name is wayne and i'm a newbie and in need of some advice..
My bathroom is 1.8 by 2.9. The joist's are 7"x2" and these run the 2.9 lenght, the joist's are spaced at 17" centres and the old floor boards layed at present are about 22mm thick. I am about to rip the whole of the bathroom out which also includes lifting the old floor back to the joist.
My question is how do a achieve a perfect substrate floor ready for the tilers. Do i just simply replace with 25mm WBP ply? or would i be better going down to an 18mm WBP ply, then lay 6mm no more ply over the top so theres better protection for the ply and a better suface for the tiler to tile on.. think i would have a lip if i went for the 25mm ply and 6mm no more ply on top.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
18mm screwed to joists will be fine. Add extra noggins especially where there are joins in the ply. Then glue and screw hardiebacker over the top.

Ply in my opinion is flawed from the offset to tile straight onto. It can delaminate, move in varying temperatures, warp, is terrible if it gets wet and it rots. But it's better than chipboard ;)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to What is the ideal substrate floor for tiling on? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
hello Folks, its a tiny area. 1.8 m2. Joists are solid 3 inch wide. Area is upstairs close to...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I want to tile over a completely new floor. New floor joists have been installed with...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB