Discuss What is this type of tile called? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

andyb1

TF
Arms
Bedfordshire
eeee 007.JPG

Done some of them last week.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
They're called Encaustic tiles @Dan
But I don't believe that's the name for that type of multi patterned tile but more how they are created/produced.
Originally the were small slabs if cement, to which the patterns were created using various coloured clays. Then kilned.
These days it's all printed on. Originals are definitely better, I haven't found a modern day replica that doesn't look exactly that.

For a hallway or porch u think I'd still opt for a victorian/geo floor. I think the use of Encaustic tiles will go out of fashion as quickly as it came in personally

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to What is this type of tile called? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Hello we are currently trying to choose a tile to lay on the ground floor (70m2) of our house...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
Add your news for free; Tiling News, Plumbing News, Electrical News What's Involved in...
Replies
Views
hello tilers, Recently I have launched my tile's website. I am new in the tile industry. Can...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB