Guest viewing is limited

Discuss What would you do here? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Colour Republic

Here is a question for you.

This is a bathroom i'm doing at the moment. It's a full rip out and start again, I'm swapping the bath and vanity unit around so the bath is inset into the alcove. The reason for doing this is because a) it's a better design because of were the door is and b) it means I can swap the 1500mm bath for a 1800mm bath (The guy in the house is over 6ft tall)

tfbath1.jpg

all seems ok but the right hand wall (window wall) is out of level by 30mm top to bottom

tfbath2.jpg

Now the bottom half was rendered the last time the bathroom was fitted, the top half was lime plaster that was shot to bits

tfbath3.jpg

It means dot and dabbed new plasterboard, this of course gives the opportunity to level the wall up... but would you??? sounds simple but it throws up other problems. So what would you do? level or not to level that is the question

In fact i've already made my mind up and installed the new walls but i'm curious as to what some of you guys would do:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Colour Republic

I'm guessing the trim round the window has been fitted to suit the old tiles/wall and now needs to be replaced.

given the choice, i would have boarded it, but did you have to get the window realigned?

This is where the problem is:thumbsup: the revels will get tiled but if the walls are leveled up then the revel will be 60mm at the bottom and 85mm at the top

so what is better, the tiles on the back wall raking up 30mm over 2.5m or the window raking up 25mm over 1.8m?

Of course I could take the window out and re-align but the customer hasn't got it in the busget, I know it's not a lot but it's still a days work to take out and adjust the opening, make good outside etc etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Colour Republic

That's a really good point Gary one that didn't cross my mind in this instance:thumbsup: But the window won't have any dressing as there is a shower going over the bath, the window is far enough back that anybody showering won't be seen from the outside but close enough that it will get wet. The area is going to be tanked and sealed, I am aware that small amounts of water (the window still has a tight seal) will find its way into the jam but I've agreed with the customer that the mechanism will need to be kept greased and drainage holes kept clear - Not ideal but they get everything they wanted in the bathroom

C

Colour Republic

The house is around 160/170 years old although many people don't know they are that old because the area has seen so many alterations to the buildings. The houses were built to home the workers who built the London to Brighton railway. So considering the houses built on a budget there certainly have stood the test of time! It's a wierd setup, The house (terraced) is set on the side of a very step hill, it has 4 storeys, at the front you can only see 2 at the back 4, so sort of a double basement. The bathroom is either on the ground floor or if you looked from the back 3rd floor:lol:

The house is largely constructed from bungaroosh, I did a lot of work on the house last year and sorted a lot of the damp problems out then but it's one of those buildings that is never going to be completely free of damp unless you undertake some major work. The wall is south facing and i'm quite happy with the ventilation it will recieve:thumbsup:

Reply to What would you do here? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
O
    • Informative
    • Winner
so I'm currently undertaking a project at the moment with 1800 x 800 x 10mm Florim porcelain...
Replies
Views
Italy
I
F
Good evening all. I need to tile the kitchen floor over the bank holiday weekend. We are having...
Replies
Views
Futuregrout
F

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
What would you do here?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.