Discuss what would you do???? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
manchester
ok im on a job at the mo, 4 bathrooms 3mtrs max each floor ive ripped up the old tiles to reveal a gypsum floor! theyve got showers in these rooms that ive also ripped out cos theyve been leaking and rotten all the timber under the trays,they must have been leaking for 3years since they were built??
these floors are 60mm thick and wet through!!!! ive already been waiting 7 weeks for them to dry out and ive got heaters on them aswell. dont mind cos ive got plenty of work..but the hotel is now getting impatient cos they are loosing loads with the rooms being out of action.been over there today with my tramex damp tester and they are still slightly damp....so they said to me today we cant afford for the rooms to be out of action any longer!and if there not dry by monday just tile them damp or not(me i cant if there not dry enough,because if it fails its down to me)hotel we,ll sign anything you want to cover you if it fails saying its down to us. we,ll pay you to come and do it again!!!!! never thought i would be in this situation.. anyone know of a way to dry these floors any quick smart?? :mad2:
cheers..

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
manchester
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365536905.671200.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365536930.433279.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365536947.957475.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365536963.557207.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365536985.569396.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365536999.445530.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365537012.274587.jpg
Here's a few piccs!!

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
manchester
You need to measure moisture in anhydrite over 48 hrs.. a simple touch substrate meter does not read at the base IMO..

If cement screed gets wet it can be fine to tile when some damp is within it and use a vapour membrane but anhydrite you have the issue of sulphate migration Andy..

Have you tried a simple sweat test..?

I know it's damp though Dave,you can see it! Most of the floor is bone dry but there's a patch right near the door that's staying damp! and I can't tile until its all dry?. Grrr

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
manchester
So Andy, this is a floor laid on plasterboard? I thought you meant a gypsum screed, ie calcium sulphate, I was going to agree with Dave about the sweat test. But is this just water damaged joists? Not to sure what the problem is now.

Evening phil! It is a gypsum based floor mate!not pboard....the joists under the step and shower are goosed hence ive ripped them out.its just the floor is taking a while to dry?.... Lol

P

Pebbs

Andy, this is what I would do, and you can take it or leave this advice. In situations like this (and funnily enough I have a similar situation going on right now). Tomorrow morning I am issuing a 'disclaimer' because I am now seriously under pressure to bring a contract in on programme. It will basically state we will undertake the works as instructed but we accept no responsibility, in any shape or form for any failures, as a direct result of the substrate not being ready to recieve the material.

The client then signs and dates it, and you carry on.

Basically you throw the problem right back at them.

Good luck

Lynn

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
manchester
Andy, this is what I would do, and you can take it or leave this advice. In situations like this (and funnily enough I have a similar situation going on right now). Tomorrow morning I am issuing a 'disclaimer' because I am now seriously under pressure to bring a contract in on programme. It will basically state we will undertake the works as instructed but we accept no responsibility, in any shape or form for any failures, as a direct result of the substrate not being ready to recieve the material.

The client then signs and dates it, and you carry on.

Basically you throw the problem right back at them.

Good luck

Lynn

Thanks Lynn,so this would stand up in court? In waiting for the TTA to contact me today to see where I stand?
Cheers Andy

G

Gazzer

Thanks Lynn,so this would stand up in court? In waiting for the TTA to contact me today to see where I stand?
Cheers Andy

Stand up in court ? Doubtful but it would depend on how far the lawyers pushed the matter. The way I see it its not about what is right or wrong, its which solicitor convinces the judge or jury .

Going to an arbitration is or was different. You and the other party would say your peace to the arbitrator and he or she would give their opinion and the matter would be closed.

Its been a while since I had to do that and would be interested in what you find out Andy, all the best :thumbsup:

Andy Tiler

TF
Arms
manchester
Nicholl and Clark do a diconnecting sheet, could'nt find a link.

It states on a brochure I have "It is ideal as an uncoupling membrane where the condition of the floor does not facilitate good adhesion between the tile adhesive and the substrate such as old or contaminated screeds"

Is that not for temporary floors whitebeam???.
I'm thinking of going down the route of mechanicaly fixing Wedi boards to the floor? I know the damps still there but it needs doing ....

Reply to what would you do???? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Got a kitchen floor to do and it consists of a concrete floor which then meets a timber floor...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
This kitchen is not level as can be seen in the attached picture. From floorboard to kitchen...
Replies
Views
Sid2323
S
Hello, looking for advice and what to do next. Have had main bathroom installed via a local...
Replies
Views
First of all, I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times so apologies in advance! A...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB