Discuss What you reading? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rich

What is everybody reading at the moment?

I love reading and always have a book on the go. I used to only read text books as I always try to teach myself new things. I was one of those idiots that used to say "I dont read fiction", that was until my brother Lent me a few books to try out. Now there is nothing I love more than a well written novel.

Wondered how many of you read in your spare time, if so what do you read?

U

user123

I always have about 5 books on the go I dip into as I fancy, a mix of philosophy books, chic flics, self development books, classic poets collection, and short stories collection. Really like the kindle for that, just click on any one that suits my mood at the time. Just now George Bernard Shaw, 'Man and Superman', brilliant, just brilliant and so funny, a must read. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 9966

A friend has just lent me the millenium trilogy but to be honest, I haven't even got the heart to pick them up and start. I do love reading, but I'm particularly fussy about authors. I therefore only read books by 2 authors - JK Rowling and Jilly Cooper. I've read all I want to read by JK Rowling and have just tapped back into Jilly Cooper after a decade absence.

So I've just spent a week reading Jilly Cooper's Jump. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Reminded me why I started reading Jilly novels in the first place. I've just managed to get my hands on Wicked, but I also need to find Pandora, and then I've got a full fiction set.

I've also tried reading Scarlet Women by Jessie Keane this week, but after reading in detail about one of the characters going through an abortion, I had to put it down as it horrified me, considering my current state. Made me so sad and teary, even though I know it's fiction :(

D

doit4u

Alexander Cordell's Rape of the Fair Country - nearly finished so have Jonathan Gash's Lovejoy The Great California Adventure lined up next. I don't like to read the same type of book two in a row so float between fact and fiction, comedy, serious, thrillers, crime, biography. Most of the books are passed on to me by family or else I buy from the local Salvation Army shop.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rich

Alexander Cordell's Rape of the Fair Country - nearly finished so have Jonathan Gash's Lovejoy The Great California Adventure lined up next. I don't like to read the same type of book two in a row so float between fact and fiction, comedy, serious, thrillers, crime, biography. Most of the books are passed on to me by family or else I buy from the local Salvation Army shop.
Yeah I do the same, maybe we should start a TF book swap. Read a book and pass it on kind a thing. Iv gone back to WW2 the biography today, meaty old book made up of diary entries/letters home from people that fought in the war, distressing stuff at times but I think it is very important not to forget and try to understand what so many people went through.

D

Daz

I had The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo on audio book last year when I was working away from home, brilliant story. My brother is reading the 2nd one, I will have a read when he is done.

There are brilliant, you can read book one on it's own, but book two and three are really one book, the story continues straight on from two to three.

I've got to be honest I tend to only complete books when I'm on holiday, otherwise I find that I put a book down midway and never pick it up again :mad2:.
I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo a couple of years ago in Egypt, so excuse my ignorance but what are the titles of books 2 & 3?
I go on holiday in a few months so fancy stocking up on a couple of books.
Cheers,

Daz

R

Rich

I've got to be honest I tend to only complete books when I'm on holiday, otherwise I find that I put a book down midway and never pick it up again :mad2:.
I read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo a couple of years ago in Egypt, so excuse my ignorance but what are the titles of books 2 & 3?
I go on holiday in a few months so fancy stocking up on a couple of books.
Cheers,

Daz

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest. I think in that order.

U

user123

Right now probably the most important book I have ever read: Ask and it is given, by Esther and Jerry Hicks.

If you're feeling curious, go to Amazon, search for it there, ignore the cynicism that may be rising up in you (it did in me anyhow) trust the initial curiousity and buy it. I bought it to download as an ereader and realize this is going to be so important to me that I want it as a hard copy as well.

Also I have started doing these exercises again - 'The 5 Tibetans', again, just search for it, just 5 exercises, and boy, am I buzzing! Between those two books your life will change, for the better, if you follow the advice in them that is, I promise you.

Should you want to scoff at either, scoff to someone else about it, I'm having a ball. :)

R

Rich

Right now probably the most important book I have ever read: Ask and it is given, by Esther and Jerry Hicks.

If you're feeling curious, go to Amazon, search for it there, ignore the cynicism that may be rising up in you (it did in me anyhow) trust the initial curiousity and buy it. I bought it to download as an ereader and realize this is going to be so important to me that I want it as a hard copy as well.

Also I have started doing these exercises again - 'The 5 Tibetans', again, just search for it, just 5 exercises, and boy, am I buzzing! Between those two books your life will change, for the better, if you follow the advice in them that is, I promise you.

Should you want to scoff at either, scoff to someone else about it, I'm having a ball. :)

I recognise these people and I cant think for the life of me how. Are they involved with "The Secret" and "What The Bleep" circle? Im not sure if I have read something of theirs or if a friend of mine has.

U

user123

I recognise these people and I cant think for the life of me how. Are they involved with "The Secret" and "What The Bleep" circle? Im not sure if I have read something of theirs or if a friend of mine has.

I've read the Secret, Rich, and various similar books, old ones (I have one I found in a second hand bookshop called Psi Kinetic Energy, form the 70's I think, which I like, pretty far out :) and new ones, but this one, the Ask and it's Given one, however weird the story may seem intially makes me believe that this is the genuine article. To be honest, I could cry, (in a good way) it's like reading my own knowledge and memories, partly forgotten and never fully appreciated or utilised, even though the awareness of a pull inside my belly knowing 'there is more to me' has always been there, pushing itself into my conscience and then not being understood I kind of ignored it. Now I am starting to understand and I can feel that it's right, there is a hum about it. The Secret seems a bit silly in comparison now, almost like a children's book somehow. Fancy you responding to it.:) .. all I can say, if you're curious, read it, don't listen to any negative opinion of which I understand there aren't many, but make up your own mind from a point of knowledge. There are other books, from the same authors or of the same ilk, but read this one first, that's the basis of it all. This was the advice I was given, and I believe it was right, so I am passing it on. :) :) :) PS, Haven't read the 'What the Bleep' ...

R

Rich

I was not at all impressed with the secret. What the bleep is along the same vein but is much more scientific in its approach. I have a bit of a divided opinion on the subject as I have had these books forced down mu through by a friend with promises of enlightenment. I think there is a lot of truth in it and this truth can be traced through most religions and ethical codes but I do believe that there is a huge amount of money in it also and people like my friend are sucked in and believe things that are so clearly a load of rubbish (he is a minority, he spent over £300 on a CD of silence because he was told that it will allow you to meditate deeper than a Buddhist monk). I have another friend who spends a huge amount of money going to see a medium, this is how she copes after loosing her parents, my view is that is it helps and you can draw strength from it then it is real. I have read some great and really moving, inspiring 1s and some that are really bad, I will have to give this one a go :thumbsup:

U

user123

I know what you mean, Rich. When I started this book, to be honest I would have put it down by page 2 if it hadn't been for the fact that I trusted the recommendation. Then everytime a question or a 'but' rose in my head, it was answered, not swept aside, and now, day 5, I feel I have understood something emotionally rather than grabbling with accepting something intellectually, even my breathing is different, which is quite something considering I have practiced meditation, T'ai Chi, and more for the past 30 years.
I overcame my intitial wanting "oh whattt???!" and wanting to chuck the book in the corner (but it's my kindle so I wouldn't :) with a "what if" and carried on. I'm an independent soul and believe once we 'get' something we don't need to regurgitate teachings, but leave it up to us to progress at our own speed, and I'm 'getting' this and will progress at my own speed, and at the moment this speedometer is set on very fast. Not everything is for everyone, but as long someone shows interest, I would say just try it and see if it is for you or not. £5.something well spent, for me anyhow.

Reply to What you reading? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Good Evening Folks. I'm going to post a few pictures & would like to hear some feedback from...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys, I have been tiling since i was 17 (im 31) I have been stuck in my way and to be honest...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O
We're getting some forum shirts done, Polo Shirts, found a good quality one that's longer than...
Replies
Views
One Day
O

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
What you reading?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.