Discuss What's this? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

Colour Republic

Ahhh so it's the URL for tilersforums.

Google did it quicker, and for free. :lol:

Just like Oli says really.

the apps for android phones and the iphone are free, you can use this qr codes in traditional print media, your phone takes a picture with the app then takes you direct to a webpage, it's not just for webpages it can hold other info too. telephone numbers, SMS, text...

they are quite Big in Japan (just like the song :lol: ) and seem to be taking off in other countries too, I think new phones with have a QR reader in-built as standard. Just another thing to start using in marketing

They have been around for quite some time, i've noticed them before but didn't really know what they were before.

So if you had the app it would have taken a picture of your computer screen and then a web browser opens on the phone which would then open tilersforums. Of course a bit sill when you are already on the web but still it demonstrates what it does

like this one, phone takes a pic and would open this very page.

img.php

D

Daz

Okay, Rob I blame you for provoking me whilst I'm under the influence of wine......

2d barcodes (the QR code is one of a large family) were originally conceived to contain considerably more data that traditional linear barcodes (EAN8 & EAN13 are UK retail versions, UPC are US for RobZ :lol:). The initial concept was that sell by dates, use by dates, manufacturer detail etc. etc. could be encoded for every product. This never caught on because it is much quicker to decode a small number of characters and reference a database. Another benefit of 2d codes was the multiple data encryption which meant that data could be replicated multiple times in a code, meaning that the symbol could encounter 25% damage and the full data content would still be retained which is something that linear barcodes do not offer.

2d codes were initially read using led barcode scanners that had to create a 3d image and then decode the data content which took an absolute age so the technology never really took off. In latter years camera technology has become smaller and faster so now the decode algorithms have become a standard feature of most digital camera firmware..........

God I'm boring.....................Sorry, and if you want even more mind numbing detail, just ask :lol:.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, Rob I blame you for provoking me whilst I'm under the influence of wine......

2d barcodes (the QR code is one of a large family) were originally conceived to contain considerably more data that traditional linear barcodes (EAN8 & EAN13 are UK retail versions, UPC are US for RobZ :lol:). The initial concept was that sell by dates, use by dates, manufacturer detail etc. etc. could be encoded for every product. This never caught on because it is much quicker to decode a small number of characters and reference a database. Another benefit of 2d codes was the multiple data encryption which meant that data could be replicated multiple times in a code, meaning that the symbol could encounter 25% damage and the full data content would still be retained which is something that linear barcodes do not offer.

2d codes were initially read using led barcode scanners that had to create a 3d image and then decode the data content which took an absolute age so the technology never really took off. In latter years camera technology has become smaller and faster so now the decode algorithms have become a standard feature of most digital camera firmware..........

God I'm boring.....................Sorry, and if you want even more mind numbing detail, just ask :lol:.

O.M.G....i was just going to say the same...

D

Daz

So are 2d now free? I mean I just created the qr codes from free and it held the data? I'm assuming the reader I have on my phone didn't reference a database, rather it decoded the info built into the image. If that is the case then surely manufacturers no longer have to pay fees in order to generate these new codes unlike barcodes????

Retail (EAN) barcodes require manufacturers to register and pay annual fees to the Article Numbering Association (ANA). In return a unique 5 digit number (manufacturer code) is issued to them. That number coupled with a 2 digit country of origin (50 is UK), a 5 digit product number (selected by manufacturer) and then an algorithmic check digit ensures a unique 13 digit barcode number which is exclusive to a single retail product. The manufacturer will then issue and use this number when supplying a retailer to ensure total traceability through the retail logistic process. There are pack and pallet versions of these barcodes to identify shrinkwrapped packs and, obviously, pallets of the products too (but I'm not going down that path tonight).

Now then, 2d codes.......
2d codes are principally unregulated and only loosely adopted within the retail chain. Another benefit of 2d codes is the sheer amount of data that can be encoded (2000 bytes of info versus 13 digits). In the early 90's I had an image scanner that could scan a persons face and encode the data into a datamatrix 2d code. When the code was scanned with a suitable decoding scanner and hooked to a green screen monitor it would display the captured image to a recognisable quality.

Tesco is one company that has adopted the 2d datamatrix code, but not for use in the retail product side of it's business. Instead, if you take a look at all promotional mailers (clubcard vouchers etc.) you will see a datamatrix code usually close to your address. I haven't scanned the codes but I'm sure they contain your full name and address details, as they appear on the mailer. I assume Tesco use the codes to easily scan and keep track of all promotional media that they forward to you.

Anyway to answer your question Rob.....
As with many things in life, some businesses will develop technology and put it into the public domain, some will attempt to charge a fee for it's use. QR and datamatrix are available to use free of licence and they are considered 2 of the more popular 2d codes, however, there are 2d codes that are "pay to use".

I can't believe I can still recall all this useless waffle, it's over 10 years since I left that marketplace - I need a hobby!

Reply to What's this? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I recently visited an establishment and went to use the facilities and this was it! I was...
Replies
Views
I'm searching for 42 pieces of 12" x 12" Verde Alpi marble tiles. Preferably honed. 12" x 24"...
Replies
Views
What does everyone usually use ? Such a mix out there!!!!!!!
Replies
Views
I have the old stock no more ply down unprimed. (Their new stock comes pre-primed). Mapei...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
What's this?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.