Discuss whats work like for you in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
yep very slow here at the momment, i thought it would pick up after all the bank hols have finished, but hasn't so far, all the plumbers i do work for are quite to, i even caught one of them at the tile suppliers last week loading his van with tiles, he said he was tiling the customers bathroom himself, as he had no work on, cheeky git even ask to borrow my cutters, i pity the customer.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
All is good here at the mo, one thing I have noticed is that I'm not getting as many jobs per quote as I usually do, maybe 6/10 as opposed to 8/10. I even did a price on friday that was from a recommendation and didn't get it! Someone had quoted less than half I did and I can't see how anyone could a) make money for that price and )b do a top job!

same here mate.........silly prices around at the momment.

I

Ian

same here mate.........silly prices around at the momment.

I had quite a long chat with the customers about it saying, tiling is all I do, I have all the best tools and knowledge to do a top job that will last. I even spoke to them about bagged addy as opposed to tubbed and they agreed with all I was saying and told me that this other guy was a mate of the kitchen fitter who only did tiling as a side line, so will probably have a £30 cutter and a tea spoon to put the homebase tubbed addy on the tiles :lol: The silliest thing about it all is the kitchen was at least 10k with black granite, very well fitted and looked to be good quality, so why run the risk of having your wall tiling done by someone who doesn't tile full time, for the sake of 150 quid? It's this sort of decision that can make a lovely kitchen look cheap for no good reason, other than wanting to save a few quid!

H

hillhead

I'm finding it tough myself.
I had no work Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday !
On Friday I started a commercial job for a well known phone repair company, entrance hallway and around a counter etc, back hallways and hopefully a big bathroom too.
Were back there tomorrow so fingers crossed.
Seven other jobs in book with no specific start dates which is so unusual for me.
I have hope though as I know a couple who are still busy, I just hope mine kicks in quick and continues.

B

bootsmckiber

Being semi retired I pick and choose my jobs which is great ,Ialways love the job at hand,I always chat with the distributors to check on the flooring trend and they tell me that tiling is picking up again,You're always going to need tile in bathrooms,laundry rooms foyers etc..if your hurting for work go around to the local contractors and ask to be their tilesetter,I used to get more work than I could manage that way,good luck

Reply to whats work like for you in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hello: First time posting. Looks like a really good forum for Info. Here is my question: I'm...
Replies
Views
I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
whats work like for you
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.