Discuss whats work like for you in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

very busy , start a star bucks 2 morro near leeds 150 m2, then onto entertainment centre 800 m2 then and some how fit in a debenhams store trafford centre 1900 m2

Nybor, I would like to gain some proper commercial experience (have worked in domestic tiling for the last few years) and hope to progress into more commercial work over the next few years. Trafford centre is about 6 or 7 miles from me, so let me know if I can be of any assistance and gain some work experience - Even if labouring as you may not trust me to fix, or be fast enough!! I've not got CSCS (yet) and I'm guessing that maybe a problem working in the trafford centre/debs? Anyway, PM me if you want to discuss. If no worked is booked in for when you would want me, I'll happily come along and labour for you FOC, just to gain the experience. Thanks.

Jan, Feb and half way through March were very quiet for me. Then work snowballed and I was mad busy till last week, doing things like 2 jobs a day. Now things are ticking over nicely, I've got a few jobs lined up but with no start date confirmed yet, and I'm booked up till half way through June.

Finding it very competitive out there though, and some customers will tell me their 'best' quote, and it's sometimes more than 50% of what I've quoted. With a little negotiation, I find I can still get the work, because the customer I aim to work for want a quality job doing and appreciate the attention to detail I go into doing the quote.

Currently working on a 60sq m 600x600 B&Poo Polished Porcelian job this week in a small shop, and 12sq m 600x300 kitchen floor next week with SLC/Insulation/UFH and a few small extra's requiring joinery skills to keep the customer happy.

It's just gone midnight so it's now officially my birthday, and I'm having the day off (as my van is in for a repair to the exhaust!).

i've been ticking over well all year till now!! i get married in 3 weeks with a 2 week honeymoon to follow and work is just drying up, ive got 3days booked in next week then nothing till 30th of may. i have a week and half to fill which i HAVE to cos of my wedding but getting no calls or nothing. I tile for a kitchen company and he's never been as quiet, its worrying me.

G

Gall.B

£260 for 40m2 of marble? not even in spain can you get it that cheap, thats ridiculous, marble takes skill, doubt a plumber can do it. killing the trade

I have heard of guys doing bathrooms for under £200 up this way. dont even consider pricing private jobs now, just do sub work for guys I know. think you just en up wasting your time and giving people free advice etc. No doubt see the pictures of the 40m2 of marble on here soon!

B

bootsmckiber

Talk about going back in time,a guy wants me to tile his kitchen,dining room,two bathrooms,foyer and change room,he's a farmer and says he can't afford to pay me but would I consider being paid in pork,lamb,beef and chickens,no joke,if I didn't have mouth and throat cancer in 2008(wear your mask)I might take him up on it but I'd have to buy a dozen freezers just to hold it all,however,I'm sure a lot of charities could use the food,methinks I'll have to re think this offer.Any input would be appreciated,keep in mind,meat doesn't pay myself or my helpers bills nor put gas in our vehicles.

M

Mike

Talk about going back in time,a guy wants me to tile his kitchen,dining room,two bathrooms,foyer and change room,he's a farmer and says he can't afford to pay me but would I consider being paid in pork,lamb,beef and chickens,no joke,if I didn't have mouth and throat cancer in 2008(wear your mask)I might take him up on it but I'd have to buy a dozen freezers just to hold it all,however,I'm sure a lot of charities could use the food,methinks I'll have to re think this offer.Any input would be appreciated,keep in mind,meat doesn't pay myself or my helpers bills nor put gas in our vehicles.
why doesn't the farmer just sell the animals/meat and pay you in good old cash?

O

One Day

If not for referral work from the shop, I would be prety much dead.
Had two calls today, unusual as the phone is very quiet.
Both from locals who had employed cheap n cheerful "bathroom fitters" -i.e. plumbers who had got unstuck with the tiling.
One was 90x30 porcelanosa ceramics. Other was mosaics.
To their credit, they admitted defeat before starting but now left the homeowners with incomplete bathrooms.
And we all know what happens when they panic and take on the first "available" tiler they can find..................!!!

Reply to whats work like for you in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hello: First time posting. Looks like a really good forum for Info. Here is my question: I'm...
Replies
Views
I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
whats work like for you
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.