Guest viewing is limited

Discuss When does a tile become a mosaic in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

richard Kent

When does a tile cease to be a tile and become a mosaic?
Is it the size of each indiviual tile, or the fact it's attached to a backing that makes it a mosaic?
Not that I'm bored:yikes:
It's just I have a rough price per meter for wall tiling, with tiles no smaller then 10cm sq, if a customer chooses tiles smaller than this the price increases and normally they are attached to a backing

T

Time's Ran Out

RICHARD - What is a rough price for wall tiling?, but more importantly who would you give that price too.
If someone is on the phone and asks how much you charge for wall tiling I couldn't give them an accurate guide so I wouldn't quote. There are so many other factors - not least your particular point - the size of tile - that would determine a rate.
I find that the only way you are going to win a job is by a site visit, see the background, measure the total area to tile, and see how long it will take to complete.
I could tile 30+ metres of 6inch white in a day on straight walls, but only 6 metres as a kitchen splashback.
In short - my costing would be based on the amount of time a particular job would take rather than by the size of the tile.
Mosaic is the picture or pattern produced by an arrangement of tiles/pieces and is therefore not determined solely by size and the backing is there to control the positioning of the tile pieces.

R

richard Kent

Hi John
I sub-contract to one of the big sheds for kitchen fitting and if the customer wants a tile splashback the shed will pay me a certain amount per metre with tiles of 100cm sq if the tiles are smaller than this then they will pay me more per metre.
The price I receive is irespective of how many sockets I have to cut round or how many door or window reveals. I would also get paid so much a metre for removing the old tiles and making good ready for tiling.

Doug :smilewinkgrin: great reply

T

Time's Ran Out

Richard - Been there many moons ago and its fine with continuity of work or if its an add on to your kitchen fitting!
But in the 70/80's when we were getting £8/10 per yard you couldn't make a wage on a 3 yard splashback which took a day to complete.
Even now some of the prices that are given by sales assistants just to win the bigger picture are derisory.
I understand your post in the fact that a price is provided by the 'shed' and they are wanting you to do it at that price - but prehaps it may be better to start at a minimum day rate for say up to 5sq metres to include 6 sockets and 1 window return.
Then you can have an additional list for extra sockets etc. (just the same as extra for removing tiles/preparation.)
Long may you remain busy and keep the customer happy - it can often be a introduction to more work in the same household.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I can relate to TJs answer, in the 60s, 70s, 80s in my case. I could easily do a 18m2 bathroom and a 4m2 kitchen in a day, using 150x 150 tiles. Today I can spend 3 days on one bathroom, large format, the job I am on at the is moment is 900mm x 320mm. You can't give a price anymore over the phone. I need to price every job by seeing the tile, the job, and the amount of cutting, prep work etc.:thumbsup:How times change:yikes:

Reply to When does a tile become a mosaic in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
O
    • Informative
    • Winner
so I'm currently undertaking a project at the moment with 1800 x 800 x 10mm Florim porcelain...
Replies
Views
Italy
I
S
Hello all From across the Pond !! Florida here.. Tradesman looking to purchase a Sigma for use...
Replies
Views
SurfHunter
S
T
Hi All. I had my 1st practice cuts with the new (second hand) cutter 2day. Although not tiling...
Replies
Views
L
  • Question
Okay so I'm going to start the ball rolling. I'd like the forum to be handy for all, including...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
When does a tile become a mosaic
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.