Discuss when is a tiler not a tiler.... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

I

ian158

....do you consider contract tilers..tilers ?

Stripping out an ensuite today and here is what I find....6mm ply screwed to floor...tiles not back buttered...7 years old..on new build by contractors...wall tiles tiled on paint..floor very bouncy as its those horrid i beam shuttering ply joists..other bathrooms showing cracked grout and one tile in corner was cracked.

is it laziness...cost...piece work or just the norm on sites ?

Attachments

• IMG_2278.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_2276.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2275.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 102

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Ripped out some tiles very easily a few years ago in what used to be a hotel, now apartments, in centre of Leeds.

Floor tiles were down with tubbed addy and this was in a 2 bed apartment, 175k. there was that much bounce in the floor I rented it out to a trampolining club for a week while the customer was away!!!

Talking to a tiler mate of mine and he was telling me he was subbying for a big house-builder in the centre of Leeds. I told him about the tubbed addy I had earlier and he said it must be same builders as he was fitting floor tiles with same addy. He'd had enough and walked.

I'm sure they're not all the same but for me it would be mind numbing, boring repetitive work, couldn't do it. Only really see that as a skill to a certain degree. Nothing really difficult to think about or contend with!!!

S

steve187

none loose..one cracked in corner..and the adhesive was very rubbery...thats not Chinese for lovely either.

rubbery is fastflex was 2 pack but now 1 pack, was and still is the best flex adhesive but at a price, things have moved on in the last 7 years and what was the norm then, is different today, i always tried to avoid tiling onto upstairs chipboard bathroom/ensuite floors, but when i had to i would always use 6 mm ply and screw every 6 inches and use fastflex. and have never had a recall, but i have walked away from lots of these floors over the years as well as underfloor wired heating.

now i would use 6mm hardi.

I

ian158

When is a mixed trade a tiler is the best question... :lol:

Bless you Dave, as much as you hate multi-trades..heres a few pictures of what i've done over the past 3 years..yes I can lay slabs..yes I can plumb..yes I can plaster...and I can also tile..so as much as you want to dig me out..I can walk away knowing i've done a decent job in all the trades..regardless of wether i'm qualified or not...and i have work until end of September..got a call from a guy i laid a garage base last year..wanting his garden levelled and 2 shed bases..he then tells me the guys who fitted the wooden garage said it was the best garage base..with 2 course dwarf wall they had ever fitted a garage to..which is why i'm back there next week working.....happy days...:hurray:

Attachments

• DSC_0039.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_0010 2.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0227.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0238.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0267.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1039.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1085.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 58
  • e5c53cf57a120c2540544473a7033e68.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0430.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0362.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0385.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0366.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 54

Reply to when is a tiler not a tiler.... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

C
hi there, i was not sure if i should put this in find a tiler section as i was more hoping the...
Replies
Views
Unused Account 1
U
I made a post earlier this year regarding poorly fixed tiles and after much to and fro the...
Replies
Views
T
This is the greatest forum in the world EVER..... [Now thats the arse kissing out the way] I do...
Replies
Views
ExplodingPudding
E
F
Good evening all. I need to tile the kitchen floor over the bank holiday weekend. We are having...
Replies
Views
Futuregrout
F
M
Tiler wanted for wall / floor tiling work First job in lincoln on cinema contract Immediate...
Replies
Views
Midlandsfloor
M

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB