Discuss When it all goes wrong!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

fulabeer

I've been plumbing ten years and i have never seen a tap shear off.
That part of the tap is expected to have pressure applied.
If over tightened, the first thing to go should be the back nut (brass or plastic etc). Or the tread might strip.
He could have over tightened the 3/4" tap connector, but even then he would/should have had to apply extreme pressure. (which no experienced plumber would do)
I don't like the way the larger bottom thread is screwed into the tap by a smaller thread.
The large thread should be cast or soldered/welded to the bottom of the tap

I'm almost certain that that failure is due to either a flaw in the tap, or a design fault. (or both!)

This thing is becoming very common these days. Prices are being driven down, but so is quality.
Fleabay, is full of great looking but cheaply made taps.
They use cheap castings, and none standard cartridges.
This leads to the taps rusting (and the chrome to flake off) within a few months, and no chance of getting parts once they start to drip. (which they do)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to When it all goes wrong!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, looking for advice and what to do next. Have had main bathroom installed via a local...
Replies
Views
S
Hi all, I haven't been on here in ages ..apologies for that.....time goes so fast. But I hope...
Replies
Views
p4ulo
P
B
Hi, first time post and first time tiling in my home. I got a house and doing the work myself...
Replies
Views
bulboy
B
J
Hello. My first post. After having good search, these tiling forums are the best I have come...
Replies
Views
I
B
I have read many posts here and found the forum to be invaluable for an avid DIYer like myself...
Replies
Views
S

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
When it all goes wrong!!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.