Discuss Where do you stand on Brand names in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

D

Dougs Third Go

I stick to branded products when it comes to tools, I just like to be sure of the quality and not chance my arm that an unbranded will let me down. Food shop I'm not a brand snob at all, apart from Hellmans Mayonaisse, (not found an unbranded one that comes near it :) ). Asda's dry cider and Aldi's Taurus cider are nicer than strongbow imo. Aldi's alcafe coffee is stronger and nicer than nescafe.

D

Deleted member 9966

We had the misfortune of shopping in Morrisons a few weeks ago. The milk didn't last as long, the fresh fruit and veg didn't last even a week and the meat we bought tasted awful when cooked. We spent twice as much on our weekly shop as we normally did and didn't get any benefit. Back to Lidl as it's our closest supermarket.

And I wouldn't think twice about buying non-branded items such as electricals. A woman who does our facilities management at work will only ever replace the broken electrical appliances with top brand names. So all the kettles are Russell Hobbs, all the microwaves are Panasonic and so on. I told her to just go over to Sainsbury's and buy their value microwave next time one breaks. The look on her face....

C

Concrete guy

When we were deciding which powertools to start stocking, brand was a major consideration for us, along with WEEE compliance, CE Compliance and whole load of red tape you can't imagine.

Ultimately it's why we decided on Makita, despite making very little on the tools, it just wasn't worth going own brand on electrical items. This is a much due to quality perception as it was back up and compliance.

Consumables - sure, if a blade or diamond pad works as well as a branded and is much cheaper people seem quite happy to swap, but powertools seem to be very different.

On a personal level I like quality stuff, if it happens to be a brand then so be it - but I don't buy because it's a brand. I get a lot of clothing from an American firm called Orvis, it's just so well made. But most of my trousers are Ralph Lauren for the same reason. I'm also a bit of chunky monkey so i find American clothes I'm a medium to large but if I buy UK stuff I'm sometimes struggling to get into XXL. It's the cut more than anything.

Cars I'm a complete brand ***** though, which has little to do with what other people think and more to do with the quality and feel of the construction.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Where do you stand on Brand names in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
C
Wet Vs Dry polishing, which is better? We get asked this daily. There is really no definitive...
Replies
Views
Turkish tiler
T
J
think its better i keep my posts in forums arms. was looking at a thread re quality of paddles...
Replies
Views
Perry
P
A
Well before i get into the selling circle itself there are certain things you need to know in...
Replies
Views
AMtek
A
What tilersforums.com does for DIY and Professional Wall and Floor Tilers in the UK...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB