Discuss which brand of tools for just starting self employed??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gazzer

Everything wears out eventually but wearing out with years of work and falling apart after a few jobs are very different things.
Some items you can budget on but others you cant.
Over the years I have bought cheap lump hammers and they fell apart on 1st job, as have chisels. I have never bought a cheap manual cutter but I have used them and they are just inferior.
The only cheapish wet cutter was a Plasplugs jobbie and I knew it was cheap and if it lasted 6 months then it would be ok......3 years later its still in the garage...but rarely is it used.

Ask here before you buy anything, the lads may be able to sort better deals for you.

A

aph257

hi and welcome, i was a DIY'er before going full time earlier this year, i had diy tools but since going full time i've had to replace most of them, so IMO i'd go for good stuff else you'll only have to replace v/soon. get a good dry cutter, decent wet cutter, i only do domestic so imo the dewalt is just too big, sledge hammer to crack nut analogy. i got most of my tools and bits from tradetiler.
good luck btw

Buy a good dry and wet cutter, these will serve you well for years and are the main items, also a decent angle grinder and get decent blades for both, tape measures don't last long so cheap and cheerful use and abuse and throw away, trowels etc can be mid range and build up over time, other items can be bought as and when the jobs required them and your tool collection will grow.

P

Perfect Tiling

Hi mate and welcome to the forum. All good advice above from guys in the know!! Something else to consider along with your tools...get a decent sized van. I have a citreon dispatch which is a really good van but as my tool collection has improved my space has gone. I can get all the tools in but find I have to take stuff out to carry materials...and always need the tool I left in the garage!!! Should have got something the size of a Vivaro...thats next years taxable profit spent!!!

T

tfs

Personally from my experience I stay well clear of silverline, most of there stuff breaks very early on, if not immediatly in a trade environment.

Rubi is great but, for just starting out you could go for the big clinker. A wet cutter is a good investment as is a grinder.

You will probs need a cordless drill if sheeting floors etc, dewalt and makita can be found at a decent price.

As previously said, no need to buy all at once. Get the basic and buy the rest as you go (and earn, lol)

Reply to which brand of tools for just starting self employed??? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all, I havent been in the business of tiling long. With that being said as someone...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Firstly I have to say that this forum is fantastic, with huge amounts of knowledge...
Replies
Views
One Day
O
T
So.... Signed up to the forum, looked at loads of threads (found the one about poor workmanship...
Replies
Views
D
Hi there. This should probably be in the tools section but I figured more people would read it...
Replies
Views
bugs183
B
J
So I've had my 1200 for a while now and it's done 5-600 cuts, mainly travertine, 610 x 405 x...
Replies
Views
Jelthetiler
J

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
which brand of tools for just starting self employed???
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.