UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Which grout/adhesive/boards to use?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

rajanm

Hello all,

I'm getting my bathroom retiled after having it refurbished just 5 years ago. I've got a small bathroom and there was loads of condensation - it turns out some of my tiles were fixed on to MDF boxing which apparently is a big no no and these tiles started to fall off after a couple of years. Even some of the tiles fixed on to the walls started to come loose. It's got to the point where water is now leaking through the tiles, under the bath and into the cupboard next door.

I've now managed to address the condensation problem by getting a good extractor fan with trickle mode/humidistat and also an air vent installed so air can circulate - it's definitely helped. I'm now about to get the walls replastered and the tiling done but want to make sure I use the right grout and adhesive and get the materials for the boxing right...there's no way I'm refurbishing my bathroom again so soon!

I went to Topps tiles today and was advised that the Bal Mosaic Fix powder adhesive would be much better than a tub adhesive BAL Adhesives - Products - mosaic-fix. I'm thinking of getting bigger tiles this time (400mmx 300m at least) and was told that this would work well for these.

I was also told that the Bal Microflex Grout would be a good choice too BAL Adhesives - Products - microflex. Is this the right one to get, there's one for bigger joints?

Finally, my tiler is planning to use marine plywood...will this do the job for the boxing or should I go for the 6mm Hardie Backer Cementboard as advised by Topps?

If I do use marine plywood, will this Bal grout and adhesive work on this?

I'm happy to spend a bit of extra cash if it means I can keep my bathroom in good condition for the next 20 years!

I know next to nothing about tiling so any help/advice would be appreciated!

Rajan

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Stef

Hi, why not just build the box out of plasterboard?

As long as its framed out properly & you are not going to jump up & down on it then it will be fine.

I would keep clear of plywood in a bathroom as it will expand & contract with the heat/humidity in a bathroom environment.

I would also consider looking into a tanking kit for round your wet areas, round bath/shower, as this will give you total piece of mind that it is 100% waterproof.

B

bugs183

Cement based adhesive, even the cheapest stuff will out peform a tubbed adhesive any day, ask your tiler if he wants to use fast or standard setting adhesive, it will make a big difference. Fast set in the summer can be a pain.
As above, the Topps adhesive will do fine. Mosaic fix is a great adhesive, but boy does it come with a price, works just the same as Mapei Keraflex and is twice as much.
Check your prices before you buy from Topps, they are keen to say the least.

J

jwatson

6mm would be fine. i would put serious thought into using a tanking kit in your shower area.
And in terms of the hardibacker, is a 6mm board fine for simple boxing in of pipes etc? Also I'm now quite happy that the Bal adhesive/grout are the ones to use...are they both mould resistant?....And what about sealant? Something long lasting and mould resistant would obviously be great.

My plan is to buy this stuff online this week so it's delivered in the next week or so

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Which grout/adhesive/boards to use?? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.