Discuss Who owns the receipts? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
I did a job for a tiling firm in June and I have been chasing for payment ever since.
Our last correspondence was a text from them stating that they want receipts for the job. i.e. £10 London congestion charge and an £18 bag of rapid flex.

My invoice to them states the following:
Labour £150 (minus 20% for TAX) £120
London congestion charge £10
Bag of adhesive £18
Total £148

Surely I own the receipts, and my invoice to them is technically a receipt?

I personally do not have a receipt for the adhesive because I buy in bulk. So I am not going to give them a £200 receipt.

Cheers
Sean

A

AMtek

Just photocopy them, if you have one for the pallet of adhesive then photocopy that, it should say how many bags were on the pallet and just show the sums on the back, ie. divide pallet cost by number on pallet. To be honest if they were being like that I would probably just tell them to forget the adhesive and send the original congestion charge receipt, 10% of something is better than 100% of nothing

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Well you live and learn, because I got told the other day, not to pay out any expenses without a copy of the reciept, because if the hmrc come in, they want to see the back up info...just saying....

If you are paying exes to employees they should always be backed up by a legit receipt. However if you are invoicing your customers you don't provide them with your receipts surely...

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Your work invoice is one thing for the 20% deduction on the CIS system. But I got told without fail if we dont have a copy of that reciept its not to be paid. It gets paid in full, but the back up has to be there.

So to push that to its logical extreme I work for a large company that buys materials from suppliers all the time. They buy materials from their suppliers and so on and so on. What you seem to be saying is that my company should not pay its suppliers without a copy of the receipts they have for the materials they buy from their suppliers etc etc... It just doesn't sound right.... Or am I reading it wrong??

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Ruislip
It’s a shame as I have done a lot of work for this bloke in the past. I only get 1 or 2 jobs a year off him now. Personally I believe it is a delaying tactic, but if I had to copy receipts for adhesive from one supplier, silicone from Topps, screws from Toolstation etc then I would spend more time collating receipts than actually tiling.

As it happens, my last adhesive buy was from the last tax year. I bought a load of gear at the beginning of April. That receipt is now filed and the file has been closed. All I could do is to send him a receipt for a brass tile trim costing £36 and a copy of the CC number.

Also, I’m not 100% confident he is paying my 20% tax contribution, and I know it is my responsibility to obtain proof of this payment, but he does not send me proof.

I am thinking this is the last time I do work for him.

W

White Room

Your work invoice is one thing for the 20% deduction on the CIS system. But I got told without fail if we dont have a copy of that reciept its not to be paid. It gets paid in full, but the back up has to be there.

So any discount the small guy gets who may work for a smaller builder he will lose because of showing his receipts, I have never ever shown any to prove but that is a couple of years ago.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
I'm doing some flooring for a builder at the moment who is quite on the ball with things. I asked for funds for 10 bags of addy which he transferred what I requested immediately. Need about another 5 which will be added to my finl invoice. Back on site monday, ill have a chat with him and see what his take on it is. Like I say, he's quite switched on with his business which is a refreshing change for a builder!

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
I'm doing some flooring for a builder at the moment who is quite on the ball with things. I asked for funds for 10 bags of addy which he transferred what I requested immediately. Need about another 5 which will be added to my finl invoice. Back on site monday, ill have a chat with him and see what his take on it is. Like I say, he's quite switched on with his business which is a refreshing change for a builder!

If he transferred monies to your account Ali, then you will have to prove where that came from and the only way you can do that is by producing an invoice for it. You can then invoice him for the additional 5. All he's done by giving you monies for 10 is in effect paying you in advance.

Good to see though that he's paying you in advance, helps with cash-flow.

Reply to Who owns the receipts? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

E
So I'm having trouble with a customer relating to grout (Bal Micromax) I have tiled 70 sq...
2 3 4
Replies
Views
M
Had an bust up/argument with tiler today. Usually use someone else but this guy came recommended...
Replies
Views
Flintstone
F
Hi lads and ladies, you may remember that last year I joined Movember and raised a whopping £40...
Replies
Views
E
I receive this i-mail for one job: Work Friday-Monday Eduardo, Work for tomorrow...
Replies
Views
This is especially for "customers" -anyone who wants to buy or choose their own tiles (whether...
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB