Discuss Tilers: Why Not Say Good Morning Before Work? in the General Off-topic Chat area at TilersForums.com.

O

Old Mod

Morning Del, this time next year we'll be millionaires ;)

lol-031.gif

I

Italy

English older at the wheel
103 years (and is of Arzachena)

With his van ice cream truck never made incidents, only two fines
of Sara Gandolfi, sent

drive103-kJXG-U431401058668553DuH-593x443@Corriere-Web-Sezioni.jpg
John Rozzo, 103 years. Under its license renewed in November
shadow

CAMBRIDGE Grab the steering wheel with both hands, swollen by arthritis, the seat is stretched all the way forward, staring at the road. No glasses? "As long as well see the white stripe, there are no problems," assures. John Rozzo from Arzachena, Olbia-Tempio, 103 years ago and runs off the streets relentless sleepy Cambridge, with accelerated just before the camera's red hair and a thrill to the truck stop on either side of the sidewalk.
For newspapers across the Channel is a little star, the "oldest holder of a license in the UK," they wrote, while ensuring that it is evening when his Mitsubishi Lancer, electric blue, is closed in the garage. John, born in 1912, shrugs; They smile at him even eyes, squeezed and lively, a good Sardinian centenarian. "In the car I'm fine, I go everywhere. It walks that I have problems - he admits -. I got the first license in Italy, at age 21. Now I have just renewed until 2018 are in place. "In his career of driver took only two fines ("One for speed, but it happened so long ago ..."), he never made incidents.

He opened the door of his house red brick, in the green suburbs of Cambridge, without even asking my name. Apparently, enough for him who speaks Italian.Trusts, stretches his hand immediately, showing the title of Knight received by the Italian State years ago for the help given to migrants in dribs and drabs, from the Fifties onwards, arrived in the land of Shakespeare after him. She begins to tell, pulling out the drawers of living of yesteryear photographs and yellowed documents. Did the military in Italy, the home in the English countryside, the railroad for the Royal Rail, the milkman, and finally the ice cream vendor ("Americans, though,") - six trucks in all, become an institution in this university city . "For 18 years I parked in front of Kings College, I saw pass a lot of people that today is important," assures. He stopped only 82 years old.
His breathing is heavy at times, but the mind flies and spring.

He wants to remember . "I've been in the military for a job, in Sardinia. I came up to sergeant, then I met Anna-Maria, we read the announcement of a vice admiral who sought home here in England. But he wanted a married couple and so, before the suitcases, we did the wedding. They paid five pounds a week, plus room and board from great lords. I was almost 40, she 26. The age difference is the secret of my longevity. "
The look dispirited. Anna-Maria is gone, died just over a year ago. And since then he lives with another Mary, a young relative of the wife, coming from Italy, beginning perhaps with the good intention to keep him a little 'company: "He has 20 years, she wanted to learn English , I sent it in college four months but it cost me almost 3000 euro - mutters John - so she came to stay here with me, but never at home, you know ... ". Not scolds John, rather proudly shows photos of his daughter and granddaughter, "engineering graduates." She has two other children (fourth died in an accident) and five grandchildren, "English 100 percent them, no one ever thought of returning to Italy."

Now Europe is filled with immigrants , but in the postwar period were Italians to try their luck elsewhere. It was tough? "In a tough, we started with very little money, we filled in debt to pay for the first house in Cambridge but we never missed a payment - John says -. And then my wife stopped working, I did not want it to be employed by someone. Here all the women work, to make more money. We are not interested become rich, there was enough need. "

Only at the end, it takes us to the garage to see his sports car the Japanese, "a bomb, used paid 425 pounds in 2007". Then he pulls out the keys, "the walk you to the station." "But it is pitch dark," gambling. "No problem" and has already started the engine. What do you want to be ten kilometers for one who has spent more than eighty years old at the wheel ...

Reply to Tilers: Why Not Say Good Morning Before Work? in the General Off-topic Chat area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Morning All! I thought it was about time to start a new Good Morning Thread. The old thread can...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Have you ever worked for a National Tile Supplier or even just smaller big chain tile suppliers...
Replies
Views
Pro Tilers Tools - Pro Tiling Tools We have a large selection of Pro Tilers Tools online here at...
Replies
Views
  • Suggestion
Topps Tiles in-store or online - Genuine Feedback, Positive or Otherwise. I used to work in a...
Replies
Views
L
I would like some advise. We booked a tiler for a new build with quite a lot of work to be done...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB