UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Why not use ready mixed adhesive? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mikeyb2

Hi Forum, just bought some 100x100mm tiles from B&Q to do the kitchen bits from worktop to wall cupboards 450mm height. The tiles on display had a sticker on them saying use only powder adhesive, not ready mixed. I asked an assistant who said it probably would be alright to use ready mixed but wasn't sure. Nowhere on the packaging does it mention this, and the tiles are not natural stone and don't look like porcelain.Any ideas on this would be welcome.
Secondly, as I was browsing the adhesives the preparation advice suggests removing paint from surfaces before applying, on some adhesives but not on others.I am putting these tiles onto recently plastered walls which have been emulsioned, so they are perfectly flat. Is it really necessary to remove the paint or are there some adhesives that would be ok?
thanks Mike

D

DHTiling

Hi mike...

Seen as tubbed adhesive dries by dispersion ( loses it moisture into substrate and tile biscuit) and keys onto the surface capillaries , then yes sand back the emulsion... sometimes a wetting with a sponge and then scrub with a scotch pad brings it off..depends on how many coats and paint type.

As for your tiles, then they might be moisture sensitive and using a slow setting tubbed adhesive might cause staining to the tile from the biscuit through to the face... if it say's to use powdered then use it IMHO.. and flat back skim each tile in-case they are moisture sensitive... but with out actually knowing or seeing the tile, then it is hard to say why they advise this..

M

mikeyb2

Hi mike...

Seen as tubbed adhesive dries by dispersion ( loses it moisture into substrate and tile biscuit) and keys onto the surface capillaries , then yes sand back the emulsion... sometimes a wetting with a sponge and then scrub with a scotch pad brings it off..depends on how many coats and paint type.

As for your tiles, then they might be moisture sensitive and using a slow setting tubbed adhesive might cause staining to the tile from the biscuit through to the face... if it say's to use powdered then use it IMHO.. and flat back skim each tile in-case they are moisture sensitive... but with out actually knowing or seeing the tile, then it is hard to say why they advise this..
thanks for the replies, so i think I'll sand back the paint. I'm not sure about the dispersion thing though, as powdered adhesive dries by dispersion once you have mixed it with water and if the tiles are water sensitive, surely neither tubbed nor powder would do. Or am I missing something here?

D

DHTiling

Powdered adhesive dries by chemical hydration and this can be dry in as little as 2 hrs.. tubbed adhesive will take a min of 24 hrs.. so the tiles are subject to moisture a lot longer...hence moisture can soak back into the tile over a longer period... but i will say that if the tiles are ceramic, then really little chance of this being a concern... just needed to point this out though..

M

mikeyb2

Powdered adhesive dries by chemical hydration and this can be dry in as little as 2 hrs.. tubbed adhesive will take a min of 24 hrs.. so the tiles are subject to moisture a lot longer...hence moisture can soak back into the tile over a longer period... but i will say that if the tiles are ceramic, then really little chance of this being a concern... just needed to point this out though..
thanks Dave, that makes a little more sense so I'll take your advice and go the powder route. Is there a Powder you could recommend which would be suitable for most materials regardless of what the tiles are made of?( I've seen some that are for ceramic only and some porcelain etc.)

M

mikeyb2

Fairly typical of B&Q that, just look on the box. It never ever says on the box what you fix the tile with. So not sure why they'd look on the box. It rarely even says the tile name on the box unless it's on a sticker that's been added before shipping.
took a tile in today to the Topps man who said it's just an ordinary ceramic tile and said Bal Green star ready mixed would be alright, so preferring to use ready stuff if I can , was wondering what the Mapei(Buildfix at B&Q) Ultimate Grab would be like as it's a lot cheaper than the Bal.
The Bal Green Star says on the tub it can be used on most substrates including paint, so maybe would save me a bit of work getting the emulsion off. Would the Mapei Ultimate Grab be ok over paint also?(I have scored the surface with rough sandpaper,but would take a lot of work to get it off completely and my arthritis won't take it!)

M

mikeyb2

Go for the bal green star if you want a ready mixed, remember you get what you pay for.

I would still key the paint before using though, just rough it up, to make sure the adhesive sticks.

However we can only advise you on what we think is best.
I appreciate the advice and I'm sure your right, but being an amateur on a budget I'm looking for the easy way and cheapest without compromising on the quality, that's why I ask about the Mapei stuff after reading so much praise for their products on this forum. The Green Star is £19.99 for 15kg and the Mapei is about £12 for 15kg so quite a big difference.
Thanks again for your input.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Why on earth would you go ready mixed. You can buy good quality powders for significantly less. Powders are much easier to work with......i too am an amateur so want things cheap and easy. B and Q have very good prices for diyers......personally wouldnt touch topps without a good trade account as thier shelf prices are horribly expensive.

M

Muse2k8

I appreciate the advice and I'm sure your right, but being an amateur on a budget I'm looking for the easy way and cheapest without compromising on the quality, that's why I ask about the Mapei stuff after reading so much praise for their products on this forum. The Green Star is £19.99 for 15kg and the Mapei is about £12 for 15kg so quite a big difference.
Thanks again for your input.

Yeah Mapei is good stuff... I just prefer Bal lol.

I would say the Bal was better but your doing a kitchen splash back where there will be no stress or abuse, no water and your tiles are 100mm x 100mm...

Mapei will do the job too ;) just don't go for anything cheap such as B&Q all in one adhesive and grout. And for the love of god do not buy ready made grout. Definitely use powder for that!

And we will want pics ;)

M

mikeyb2

Why on earth would you go ready mixed. You can buy good quality powders for significantly less. Powders are much easier to work with......i too am an amateur so want things cheap and easy. B and Q have very good prices for diyers......personally wouldnt touch topps without a good trade account as thier shelf prices are horribly expensive.
Or, to put it another way. Why on earth would you want to mess about mixing your own, if ready mixed works ok? As for Topps, I had to go there to ask advice after speaking to clueless assistants at B & Q, and obviously then went back to B & Q to buy it.(sorry Topps)

D

Discount Tile Supplies

All ceramic tiles have a product (engobe) in them that stops water coming up through to the glaze surface, you see a lack of it sometimes on white tiles, like a darker clouding effect, specially when dot and dabbed using ready mixed adhesives.

If a manufacturer uses less of this engobe in producing the tiles it saves them money and they can sell them cheaper.(good for them and B&Q but not good for tiler)

Imo it would be better to use an adhesive that dries quicker and differently to bucket i.e. a powder adhesive not a ready mixed one. This may be why they are telling u to use it.

Dave i reckon you got it spot on!
If it says use POWDER why use ready mixed? READ THE INSTRUCTIONS guys?:mad2:

Reply to Why not use ready mixed adhesive? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Agree
    • Informative
Is the issue with ready mixed adhesive seemingly only recommended for 30x30 tiles max that it...
Replies
Views
    • Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
I'm having a nightmare trying to establish product info from distributors. For example...
Replies
Views
Some helpful advice/opinion would be appreciated... Existing tiles on walls, some of the walls...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a very small area (1m.sq) on an exterior doorway entrance wall to tile. I would...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.