Discuss Wish me luck! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

skeg

Well thats day one over. Managed to get all the splashback tiled. Took a bit longer than i would've liked but i guees will speed up a bit with experience. Struggled a little bit with the trim. I was using 10mm trim for 9mm tiles but somehow still managed to get a tiny bit of a lip in places. I did take a photo before i started applying the tiles and will take another one when done. Grouting tomorrow. On that point, the customer has already purchased the grout but it is a floor grout. Is there any reason why this couldn't be used on a wall or is it posssible that it's just a grout made to make grouting floors easier?

Cheers

Skeg

S

skeg

Yes it was a powdered adhesive but was not any good. Some of it came out in lumps which refused to mix with the water, even after two attempts at trying to mix a batch up. Spoke to customer and they were happy for me to get new grout which obviously added more time to the job but meant the finish was going to be better.

Having now finished the grouting though i can see that i may need to get a bit more practice. No matter how i do it at the moment i always manage to take too much grout out when doing the first wash with a sponge therefore leaving the grout line a tad shallow. I guess i'll only get better the more i do.

Just letting the grout dry today and then all that is left to do is to pop back and silicone between the tiles and worktop and job done!

S

skeg

Sorry, meant to say powdered grout in my last post, not adhesive. The worktops are wooden, tiles are a cream colour, although look white in photo's. I have used BAL Manilla coloured grout which is a slightly darker colour than the tiles and was shown a close matching coloured silicone. I think if i used clear it might look a bit odd, especially as there some gaps larger then others as the worktop wasn't perfectly level.

I probably do need to leave the grout a bit longer before washing off but am very aware of leaving it too long. Just fine tuning i guess.

Possibly doing sealant tomorrow, will let you know how it looks.

On another note, i have used trim around the window sill and reveal so have then used it on the rest of the splashback. Can't really decide if it looks odd or not. If you are using trim around the window reveal is it then always the done thing to use it on the rest of the splashback? The tiles are only 1 tile high once you are in the reveal. I thought about not using trim but then thought the non glazed part of the tiles showing would look weird if none was used at all.

What do others think or do?

S

skeg

I can see why you wouldn't use trim around natural stone tiles as you have the same finish on all visible sides of the tile. The splashback i'm doing at the moment runs from an open ended section of the worktop, along to the window then on to 5 ajoining walls of various sizes only interrupted by a stainless steel splashback for the hob, and none of it reaches high enough to reach any units.

Reply to Wish me luck! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I'm getting towards the end of a major renovation that has taken 4+ years so don't...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I'm about to start my first tiling job (at home) and after thinking about steps have a...
Replies
Views
C
Hi all Hoping for some opinions on how to handle an ongoing issue in having with my tiler He...
2 3 4
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Wish me luck!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.