Discuss Woman decapitated in Tenerife in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

U

user123

Ed, yes, absolutely. Every country has different policies, but I worked in a outpatient daycentre for mentally ill people for two and a half years, round 1985, when the 'back to the community approach started, where people with a variety of mental health problems got released back into the community if it was deemed safe to do so. It's a very tricky tricky problem, you don't want the direness of the Victorian approach where everyone with some mental problem is locked up and drugged up, and it's really quite tricky to judge when someone is really ill and dangerous rather than just having a crisis of sorts most of us will suffer from at some point in our lives. But someone being safe while in safe and institutionalised surroundings is one thing, when they are faced living alone in some bedsit and having to dare to go out to the shops and cope when the loo paper runs out is quite another. I witnessed as many mistakes as successes with this approach, but with this man being homeless there wouldn't have been anyone looking after him, the funds for outreach social services staff are some of the quickest to be cut anyhow, the volunteer organisations here do amazing work, I have no idea if there is any such thing in Teneriffe. And you know I still think of some of the patients, and wonder how they are getting on. Some were just really lonely, and got into some vicious circle with themselves. Another reason always to be friendly to strangers out there, you never know how much a bit of kindness at the right time can change someone's day.

A

Aston

with all due respect g, the guys cut a womens head off after stabbing her in the neck 14 times.
you can be as friendly as you like to a person who has a chronic mental aggresive illness and it wont change anything. thats the whole point! their rationale is completely different to a healthy person..

every case should be individually assessed. this particular person has a history. all as i am saying is, somebody, somewhere, may have not ? done their job correctly. anyway, thats all i can really add. i hear what your saying and i respect youir point :0)

my main thoughts go to the women who lost her life and the pain her family are feeling right now. i am also fully aware that people with mental health issues/illnesses need more help and support too.

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
he was a paranoid schizophrenic! had a history of violence.
makes you wonder how these people are left to roam the streets when clearly they should be in a secure unit.

perfect exampl eof this ed mate,one of my friends was diagnosed a paranoid schizophrenic and was sectioned for a while,i stayed friends with him but found it more and more difficult as he was violent

he threatened to cut my throat in a pub one night and produced a knife,i left obviously sharpish and called the local hospital dealing with him,he had a flat at this point and wasnt in the hospital any more.
i told them i was very concerned about his mental health and told them what had happened...i was advised there was nothing they could or would do unless he had actually carried out an attack on someone

i nearly fainted when i was told this an absolute joke

U

user123

with all due respect g, the guys cut a womens head off after stabbing her in the neck 14 times.
you can be as friendly as you like to a person who has a chronic mental aggresive illness and it wont change anything. thats the whole point! their rationale is completely different to a healthy person..

every case should be individually assessed. this particular person has a history. all as i am saying is, somebody, somewhere, may have not ? done their job correctly. anyway, thats all i can really add. i hear what your saying and i respect youir point :0)

my main thoughts go to the women who lost her life and the pain her family are feeling right now. i am also fully aware that people with mental health issues/illnesses need more help and support too.

Oh, good god, Ed, no way did I try and say that a friendly word would have changed anything there, I must have not expressed myself properly, I was talking about mental health in general, as I said I worked with mentally ill people and know some cases are truly hopeless cases. But the thing is, like Rich mentioned, I know how hard future actions are to predict, and sometimes a kind word can help diffuse peoples' negative state, all speaking in general terms about mental health, not about this individual. I think being a homeless foreigner, he slipped through the net.

U

user123

perfect exampl eof this ed mate,one of my friends was diagnosed a paranoid schizophrenic and was sectioned for a while,i stayed friends with him but found it more and more difficult as he was violent

he threatened to cut my throat in a pub one night and produced a knife,i left obviously sharpish and called the local hospital dealing with him,he had a flat at this point and wasnt in the hospital any more.
i told them i was very concerned about his mental health and told them what had happened...i was advised there was nothing they could or would do unless he had actually carried out an attack on someone

i nearly fainted when i was told this an absolute joke

Yep, I have witnessed this, too, as more than one example of the back into the community approach. At the same time some people coped so much better in the real world than knowing they were in an institution, that being allowed to be out there again really helped them. But paranoid schizophrenics don't recover by themselves, that is probably the most extreme case of mental illness, and no, IMO they should remain sectioned, absolutely.

Reply to Woman decapitated in Tenerife in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views
Man gets fined for traveling from Sheffield to Stoke to buy tile adhesive. Note that you can...
Replies
Views
Thank god this policeman has been jailed! BBC News - Wiltshire policeman jailed for cell...
Replies
Views
SandyFloor
S
THIS IS LABOUR GOVERNMENT REST OF THE WORLD VERSION: The squirrel works hard in the...
Replies
Views
kevin.young
K

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Woman decapitated in Tenerife
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.