Discuss Working in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I sometimes wonder if a contractor could have a problem with someone's work being too good, rather than tell them to reduce there quality, you simply tell them to speed up!! If you have a load of guys tiling to an acceptably low standard then someone comes in and does some work to a higher standard, it would certainly give a client grounds for questioning the low standard bulk of the job, however if its all pretty low then no problem.

Mark you have just hit the nail on the head, I did a show house for a new development many years ago. The company I was working for had a very famous contracts manager, now a legend in the tiling industry. He gave me a right royal blasting for making a really good job of the work, saying " I have got to send average tilers on this site, and you have set the bar to high" talk about being trashed for doing your best.

Bob it was a long time ago, I forgive you, I know now what you were saying, but I was just doing the job the way I had been taught.:oops:

W

White Room

I sometimes wonder if a contractor could have a problem with someone's work being too good, rather than tell them to reduce there quality, you simply tell them to speed up!! If you have a load of guys tiling to an acceptably low standard then someone comes in and does some work to a higher standard, it would certainly give a client grounds for questioning the low standard bulk of the job, however if its all pretty low then no problem.

I was on a job many years ago and this was plastering not tiling, they got rid of a team of guys who's work excellent but a bit slower.
So they got rid of and bought another team in who were fast but there work was nowhere as good, it was the speed thing they were interested in.

C

charlie1

Mark you have just hit the nail on the head, I did a show house for a new development many years ago. The company I was working for had a very famous contracts manager, now a legend in the tiling industry. He gave me a right royal blasting for making a really good job of the work, saying " I have got to send average tilers on this site, and you have set the bar to high" talk about being trashed for doing your best.

Bob it was a long time ago, I forgive you, I know now what you were saying, but I was just doing the job the way I had been taught.:oops:

similar thing happened to me not long ago, he never asked me to drop my standards, he just said i need to speed up but i seen it coming a mile away! One good job can make all the rest look average or worse, i can understand why a contractor would be concerned but same as you phill, the quest for perfection wont stop for anyone.... Well not yet anyway

G

G Matharu TFS

Off today,

Thanks for all the replies contractor, said work is great but start with big tiles instead of cuts I really don't know if these lot are totally off the ball when it comes to tiling,
Even the plasterboards are not square or level which I have showed contractor just replied get it done I'm not going to live here I am comming to my morale questions about people who are gonna get these flats and so many corners that have been cut in build even the insulation hasn't been conducted correctly and I'm no expert!
Thanks for the replies!

D

DGJ

Having seen first hand how new houses are built, I wouldn't buy one if it was half price, like you say, one corner cut after another. It's not about building quality affordable homes. It's just about lining a fat cat contractors pocket.

100% agree, been up the in-laws house ( couple of years old ) most weekends doing work- dodgy plumbing and fixtures fitted incorrectly is the main reasons!:mad2:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Having seen first hand how new houses are built, I wouldn't buy one if it was half price, like you say, one corner cut after another. It's not about building quality affordable homes. It's just about lining a fat cat contractors pocket.

I've lost count of how many bathrooms I've replaced in new build, tiles directly on chipboard, baths held in place with propped up skirting board, the list goes on.

I don't think I could ever part with hard earned money, like you say Bri, filling some contractors pocket :thumbsup:

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Hi all,

im new on here been tiling for a little while currently working on some flats in birmingham, where the contractor is telling me i am working to slow, he is trying to tell me that another tiler was tiling onto plasterboarded rooms in shower rooms and grouting same day and finishing off in 1 day using ready mixed addy, said he was doing 4 kitchen spashbacks approx 5 square meters each a day, this guy must have been termiators brother!!

personally i have never tiled and grouted using ready mix addy ever even got told at college allow to set over night or at least 12 hours so the addy can set go off and bond with the tile is it not true if grouted same day the addy will not cure or will leave a brittle structure prone to cracks upon drilling, anyhow the bathrooms in flats are aprrox 15 sq mtrs and 4 on the floors and the way ive done them is im averaging complete from start to finish 2.5/3days for one bathroom with one window, setting out and starting walls on day1 evening doing the floor returning the following day to finish walls and day 3 grouting and siliconing.

Kitchens i have done 2 per day the grouted both next day all brickwork in kitchens.

would appreciate advice please!!!!!

Haven't got time to read through all of these posts on thios but want to make one point from what you've posted.

If the other "tiler" is using ready mixed addy and grouting the same day then i can almost guarantee the grout (if white) will be discolouring within a week. Ready mixed/tubbed adhesive dries/sets by disperssion. This usually takes at least 24 hours. If you "suffocate" the addy by grouting before it dries out fully then the moisture in the addy will get trapped behind the grout. You'll usually find this will cause the grout to discolour.

S

stephenoneill

ignore stupid people like him never let the quality of your work drop to finish quicker. their will always be someone quicker than you thats life ;just do your best at the end of the day he wants the work finished quick but at the same time will be quick to call you if their is a problem;simply do good work and the speed will arrive with experience learn to walk before you can run good luck

- - - Updated - - -

ignore stupid people like him never let the quality of your work drop to finish quicker. their will always be someone quicker than you thats life ;just do your best at the end of the day he wants the work finished quick but at the same time will be quick to call you if their is a problem;simply do good work and the speed will arrive with experience learn to walk before you can run good luck

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

heres a little video of some site tiling being done.
trowelling out an area of a wall and fixing tiles without spacers etc working down from the datum line....just gives some people on here an idea of how fixing techniques vary and can help your speed increase.

[video=youtube;ARykBNXTCqw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARykBNXTCqw[/video]

Is this guy taking his time? or is he Russian?:lol: I'll get me coat:yikes:

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Stef

It all depends on the site agent etc, I've worked for firms that just wanted the job done, no prep nothing & I've walked. Working for the company I have been with now for 4 years & they moaned at me to start with as it wasn't the way their last tiler did it. I sat them down & explained that the way I do it is the right way.
Another house builder we do work for actually got the contracts manager of a large tiling firm that they also use & showed them our work & told them straight that the quality of workmanship has to improve. We won 2 awards with that company & that's why they keep giving us more & more work.
I will never compromise the quality of my work for anyone, someone has to live in that house & even if the rest of house has question marks on it at least I know my tiling is bang on!!!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Working in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
F
Good evening all. I need to tile the kitchen floor over the bank holiday weekend. We are having...
Replies
Views
Futuregrout
F
Courses : Tiling Courses Tiling Taster Course 1 Day Spend a day at YTA and tile a small kitchen...
Replies
Views
Jeanette
J
T
hi i have been tiling for a good 4 years now but not to my full potential i have built up a...
Replies
Views
terrycoe1
T

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB