UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss wot would you do in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

TT Tiling

hi guys and girls ,had a customer ask me today to tile a bathroom in a cheap white 6mm tile and use a 12 mm stone boarder ,they said the tile shop that sold them the tiles said just pack out all the white tiles to meet the boarder lol
i said to them change the small white tile ,go for something a little bigger and a lot thicker in the tile body to make it easyer to use
wot would you do , the so called shop i think is out of order saying pack off the tile to suit and the add you would use would double the cost of the job on the cheap tiles

i have never packed tiles that thick but the tile shop say are fitters do it all the time
, wot are your thoughts on this

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Total rubbish on the tile shops part there. Why on earth would you pack out the whole bloody wall just to fit a border?!?!?! Numpties.

Somebody's trying to get rid of some stone borders they want to get rid of or something there.

Or the customer can't afford the stone tiles to go with the stone border.

One or the other lol

P

Plumbing Tiler

Shops do have a lot to answer for!, my local Tile store have told my Bathroom customer that she can have 600x300x12mm Porcs on her skimmed, painted, plasterboard wall, after I had advised her she couldn't!, the shop, who also have their own fitting teams have made me out to be the villain, obviously they are desperate to make the sale, as its for 40sqm for 2 bathrooms, but when I raised the substrate weight limit with them their answer was "we've fitted loads and never had a problem!", luckily the customer has listened to me and selected something more suitable!, they even said they would get the adhesive supplier (Weber) to write to the customer to say they would guarantee the adhesive would hold, good luck with that I replied!, 2 weeks have passed since and it seems that no letter has been forthcoming lol!, they should know better, but I guess its whatever it takes to get the sale eh?!?

W

White Room

Shops do have a lot to answer for!, my local Tile store have told my Bathroom customer that she can have 600x300x12mm Porcs on her skimmed, painted, plasterboard wall, after I had advised her she couldn't!, the shop, who also have their own fitting teams have made me out to be the villain, obviously they are desperate to make the sale, as its for 40sqm for 2 bathrooms, but when I raised the substrate weight limit with them their answer was "we've fitted loads and never had a problem!", luckily the customer has listened to me and selected something more suitable!, they even said they would get the adhesive supplier (Weber) to write to the customer to say they would guarantee the adhesive would hold, good luck with that I replied!, 2 weeks have passed since and it seems that no letter has been forthcoming lol!, they should know better, but I guess its whatever it takes to get the sale eh?!?

I hate that comment with a vengance.......

D

Discount Tile Supplies

It is some times he says she says. Customers do seem to buy and do what ever they want to do no matter what you say. Come and spend a few days in a Tile Shop and you will see what i mean.

You can only give advice and sometimes people havent got the money and choose ridiculous things and expect people to do the job.

Why choose a 15cm white any way? Specially with a stone border. Agree poor advice if 6mm diff on thickness.

I agree with whitebeam about the "weve fitted loads and not had any problems" and i always say YET. Same argument about tilers using PVA.

In a ideal tilling world people would do and sell the right product for the job. Unfortunately people wont pay so buy what they want.

12mm 60x30 porcelain? Sounds odd to me imho, most are 10mm,but then what do i know these days. Why did they skim walls then paint them? See people do the strangest things.

Sorry to say this boys but one thing ive learnt in this trade for the last 30 odd years its never the tilers fault! Its either the tiles or the substrate or the adhesive or the grout or the idiot in the shop selling the tiles?

T

Time's Ran Out

We often give a 3D effect to a stone border with a cheap 200x250mm bumpy white tile - and yes it is intentional!
You can buy a sheet of stone mosaic for a few pounds and this provides you with 2 linear metres of border (either vertically or horizontally) and it's effect can be pleasing. As already mentioned it often imitates the traditional dado or picture rail and although well discussed before installation, I've never had an unhappy customer - yet!
If I did I'd just cut 6mm into the wall and give them what they may have wanted.
scan0002.jpg

B

bugs183

If the customer wants 15x15 white then why not, it can still look as good as any other tile in the right place.
Trouble is regarding painted walls we often get to the job when it's too late to say don't skim or paint the walls, and even if you do the painters or customer still do it and then we look like we're moaning, same as with the tiles, you price on one tile then when you turn up on the job a totally different tile has been bought, you're onto a loss before you even start.
We are not without blame, things happen and you have to put your hand up and admit it, but this certainly isn't TT's fault here, the shop has given plainly stupid advice and someone needs to tell this pillocks boss about this as it happens all the time.

F

Fliselege

We often give a 3D effect to a stone border with a cheap 200x250mm bumpy white tile - and yes it is intentional!
You can buy a sheet of stone mosaic for a few pounds and this provides you with 2 linear metres of border (either vertically or horizontally) and it's effect can be pleasing. As already mentioned it often imitates the traditional dado or picture rail and although well discussed before installation, I've never had an unhappy customer - yet!
If I did I'd just cut 6mm into the wall and give them what they may have wanted.
View attachment 44461
nice job, nice feature

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to wot would you do in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello everyone, I have redone the tiles (porcelain ones) in the kitchen. The grout used, BAL...
Replies
Views
Got a kitchen floor to do and it consists of a concrete floor which then meets a timber floor...
Replies
Views
I've got an AKW Tuff form shower tray with a waste that is 10mm above the tray when fully...
Replies
Views
Hello. Can I take your advice please? Our groundworks company are refusing to guarantee their...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a wetroom tray on timber floor. We have an impey shower tray and tanking membrane...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.