Discuss Wrong Adhesive Used... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

P

Phil Smith

Hello, I have mistakenly used flexible floor tile adhesive on my concrete screeded floor, I have used the unibond ready mixed adhesive for wooden floors.

I know now that I should have used another brand but since the floor has been laid can someone tell me if it will be ok? It seems to be going off quite well, it's been 24hrs and seems solid although I have not walked on it since the label says it will take 48hrs.

The floor tiles used are 50cm x 15cm

thanks! Phil

T

Time's Ran Out

Why not give unibond a call and ask them the question. Not the adhesive of choice for most I accept but if it is solid and sets there is no reason why it should not stay in place. You might need to leave it for several days to dry before grouting though.

In another thread the Op is asking for an adhesive for porcelain tiles so it may be that in this case the adhesive will never fully dry!

beanz

TF
Berkshire
In another thread the Op is asking for an adhesive for porcelain tiles so it may be that in this case the adhesive will never fully dry!

Why would the fact that the tiles are porcelain stop the adhesive from drying!?! I personally would ring Unibond, as Alan has said... No point ripping it up if you don't need to. It'll either fail, or it won't.

P

Phil Smith

Yup..

Ajax123 - This is the exact adhesive, not the one in the earlier thread... I just read the title on screwfix and purchased it without fully reading the label. Anyway, I have 3/4 of the floor down, they are porcelain tiles which is why in another post I was asking for a recommendation.

I've checked the tiles I laid on Sunday afternoon and these do not seem like they will move without damaging them so I don't think taking them up is an option, my concern is more long/short term or whats the worse that can happen?

I have emailed Unibond to see what they say, but I will finish off with different adhesive and separate grout.

View attachment 55771

S

Stef

Hi, Sorry if I wasn't clear, it's unibond wooden floor adhesive but I used it on the concrete floor :/

The way I read it you had used wall tile adhesive on the floor.
Even so I have looked at ready mixed floor adhesive before & I would never use such a product on a floor installation.
It may be ok, it may not, I don't know enough about the product.
I see it says for ceramic tiles. The one thing I would say that it may not dry out or take longer to dry as it will be a dispersion adhesive & the moisture has to go somewhere & won't soak into a porcelain tile.
I have used plenty of flexible adhesive on concrete floors but it is always a powder adhesive.

Q

Qwerty

Yup..

Ajax123 - This is the exact adhesive, not the one in the earlier thread... I just read the title on screwfix and purchased it without fully reading the label. Anyway, I have 3/4 of the floor down, they are porcelain tiles which is why in another post I was asking for a recommendation.

I've checked the tiles I laid on Sunday afternoon and these do not seem like they will move without damaging them so I don't think taking them up is an option, my concern is more long/short term or whats the worse that can happen?

I have emailed Unibond to see what they say, but I will finish off with different adhesive and separate grout.

View attachment 55771

To be fair Phil, if you're not going to take them up then I would carry on with the same adhesive. I'm not saying I would ever use that adhesive for one second but you are 3/4 the way through so stick with it (or not as the case may be). The worst that can happen is the tiles will move (debond) and the tiles crack (and you fit the bill for the lot) but if it were me I would rather the whole floor did it rather than only 3/4! Are you sure it's not just the suction effect of the adhesive onto the tiles rather than the adhesive setting? My money is on you being able to take up those tiles with minimal breakage.

P

Phil Smith

To be fair Phil, if you're not going to take them up then I would carry on with the same adhesive. I'm not saying I would ever use that adhesive for one second but you are 3/4 the way through so stick with it (or not as the case may be). The worst that can happen is the tiles will move (debond) and the tiles crack (and you fit the bill for the lot) but if it were me I would rather the whole floor did it rather than only 3/4! Are you sure it's not just the suction effect of the adhesive onto the tiles rather than the adhesive setting? My money is on you being able to take up those tiles with minimal breakage.

I started to prise them out and your right, they came up... going to soak them and clean them now and start again with the correct adhesive..oh well, nothing like learning the hard way!
View attachment 55776

S

StylesTilesMan

Lol how can you accidentally use that ? :). From what i can see, its a floor adhesive designed to stick tiles onto floorboards and such... From my limited experience of doing a floor with pre mixed (once) if you leave it a good few days resisting walking on it I think it will hold myself. I think some of these guys here are guilty of being a little "jobsworth" on this one personally. Floor boards move about, Screeded floors are solid. If you had used non flexible adhesive on floor boards then you would have been stuffed but this way round will probably be ok. OMG i just saw,, you ripped them all up.. oh well,, live and learn burp

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Stef

Lol how can you accidentally use that ? :). From what i can see, its a floor adhesive designed to stick tiles onto floorboards and such... From my limited experience of doing a floor with pre mixed (once) if you leave it a good few days resisting walking on it I think it will hold myself. I think some of these guys here are guilty of being a little "jobsworth" on this one personally. Floor boards move about, Screeded floors are solid. If you had used non flexible adhesive on floor boards then you would have been stuffed but this way round will probably be ok. OMG i just saw,, you ripped them all up.. oh well,, live and learn burp

"A few of the guys on here are guilty of being jobsworth"??

No we give out advice because we know its right.
"In your limited experience" you stick to the way you do it,
"US TILERS" will stick to doing the job correct the 1st time round..

Can I ask how many m2 of timber floors you have tiled?
& have you tiled direct onto floor boards??

Reply to Wrong Adhesive Used... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views
I have recently laid around 30msq of porcelain floor tiles in our kitchen. The tiles have been...
Replies
Views
I'm planning on tiling my porch, and the tiles and adhesive will take up around 13mm of height...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a very small area (1m.sq) on an exterior doorway entrance wall to tile. I would...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB