Search the forum,

Discuss Bathroom project - Work in progress in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

davemul

Apologies mods of this needs to go elsewhere.. please feel free to move it or bin it!

Riiiight.. here goes....

We've been in our first house nearly 2 years now. We've (well ... more like I'VE!) done everything else bar the bathroom. It's an old 1800's cottage so the bathroom was in a pretty bad way. Solidly built but nasty and OLD!

I decided a few weeks ago to RIP it out and start from the beginning.

First task was to move the hot water cylinder from in the bathroom to a new cupboard outside the room (thanks to Scruff from ultimatehandyman.co.uk for the advice!)

Now you see it...

7599aa0b.jpg

Now you dont!

984bc1db.jpg

Ive taken quite a lot out..

CARNAGE

6ea9c026.jpg

80443c6c.jpg

Well, I picked up a load of bits today..

Marmox goods and tiles!

dd3c2c45.jpg

25b0ec7e.jpg

57a0edf2.jpg

98dac92b.jpg

8fe80143.jpg

New shower pump for the house too

89a80179.jpg

Also have taken delivery of a taptile wireless light switch system Taptile - Ditch the switch one-touch mood lighting and dimming solutions for the bathroom and kitchen

6 astro glass downlights

an airflow icon15 extractor fan

and some Polk RC60i ceiling speakers

and a couple of remote water isolation switches about surestop

More bits arrive tomorrow.. i'll update this thread as I go along... im taking next week off to start the plumbing and install!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

davemul

are you starting on the walls now? i'd leave the floor now till last to prevent dirtying or damaging it

I am Mike, just making a measuring stick with the wall tiles so I can plan a few niches.

walls are going to be fun! as the studs have measurements of their own! going to have to make lots of new studs to avoid wasting too much board!

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Hi Bob, thanks mate :)

Cold feed to the bath is from the water tank in the loft (which then goes on to feed the pump then on to the shower). Hot water cylinder is also fed from a tank in the loft too mate.

Sound ok?

Yes thats fine. the feeds are balanced as they should be.

What is the size of your loft tank, 25, 50, 100 gallon?

D

davemul

Totally agree. My day job is sitting looking at about 6 screens trying to make money! but I like to have a go at things if I feel comfortable.

This forum has been a godsend with regards to info, so for that I thank you all!

so far with this bathroom i've been an electrician / plumber / builder / interior designer

im shattered! :lol:

Hi Blocko... its 12.5mm on the walls and 6mm on the floor

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Totally agree. My day job is sitting looking at about 6 screens trying to make money! but I like to have a go at things if I feel comfortable.

This forum has been a godsend with regards to info, so for that I thank you all!

so far with this bathroom i've been an electrician / plumber / builder / interior designer

im shattered! :lol:

Hi Blocko... its 12.5mm on the walls and 6mm on the floor

What do you do Dave? Security guard?

M

Mike

Nothing humble about tiling mate, im in awe of you guys. I just finished tiling the kitchen, it nearly finished me off!

I bought a load of RIO LN in july... I dont even want to look at the price of it now! sunk like the titanic. You win some, you lose some!
i paid about £8 per share for mine some years ago via sharesave (i worked for rio for 15 yrs) the shares were the best thing about the job. there was a few guys in work (not me) who were sat on a £million worth when the shares rocketed to £70 a few years ago :yikes:

D

Diggins1

c'mon guys, dont ruin this thread with talk of money!!

Just joined the site and was hooked on this thread instantly!!! Cracking work on the bathroom, good to see a job done as it should be! Its pretty clear you've been a tiler for years, you just never realised it! (hooked on straight lines perfect angles) :)

Can't wait to see the finished product, especially that glowing flusher!! :)

P.s, when will you be starting the blog for the extra bathroom your gonna have to build so this one can remain perfect forever? :)

D

davemul

Yeah sorry about the work waffle! Not much to update really this week as i'm back at work.

Underfloor heating arrived yesterday. Floor laser level arrives today. I need to order some SLC today and ssome bits and bobs. Finish plumbing the dry deck to the soil stack and test it, then lay the UFH and self level over it.
Oh and need to buy the mosaics for the shower tray / niches too
and the TV for the wall.. stock keeps being delayed!

Also just looked at shower screens.. ouch, pricey!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Nice work Dave,

Yes I really like those Grohe valves, you have certain flexibility regarding how far it goes in or out as long as your tiles fall within the margin. Then simply trim the blue casing to the tile finish, just make sure its dead level especially if you have a rectangular facia plate as there's no adjustment that way.

Be aware of the fixed showerhead aswell, have you taken into account the tile/adhesive thickness in regard to the shower arm flange? Nothing worse than a load of thread showing or even worse if the flange/coller bottoms out on the tiles before it scews tight. You also need to make sure it tightens at the right place. Ever fitted an outside tap?

Last edited:

Reply to Bathroom project - Work in progress in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.