Search the forum,

Discuss Bathroom project - Work in progress in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

davemul

Apologies mods of this needs to go elsewhere.. please feel free to move it or bin it!

Riiiight.. here goes....

We've been in our first house nearly 2 years now. We've (well ... more like I'VE!) done everything else bar the bathroom. It's an old 1800's cottage so the bathroom was in a pretty bad way. Solidly built but nasty and OLD!

I decided a few weeks ago to RIP it out and start from the beginning.

First task was to move the hot water cylinder from in the bathroom to a new cupboard outside the room (thanks to Scruff from ultimatehandyman.co.uk for the advice!)

Now you see it...

7599aa0b.jpg

Now you dont!

984bc1db.jpg

Ive taken quite a lot out..

CARNAGE

6ea9c026.jpg

80443c6c.jpg

Well, I picked up a load of bits today..

Marmox goods and tiles!

dd3c2c45.jpg

25b0ec7e.jpg

57a0edf2.jpg

98dac92b.jpg

8fe80143.jpg

New shower pump for the house too

89a80179.jpg

Also have taken delivery of a taptile wireless light switch system Taptile - Ditch the switch one-touch mood lighting and dimming solutions for the bathroom and kitchen

6 astro glass downlights

an airflow icon15 extractor fan

and some Polk RC60i ceiling speakers

and a couple of remote water isolation switches about surestop

More bits arrive tomorrow.. i'll update this thread as I go along... im taking next week off to start the plumbing and install!

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mike

i always leave the floor till last if i can, as yours is going to be a wetroom you could tile the walls but leave the bottom row of wall tiles off then tile the floor, then the bottom row of wall tiles. this way would give you less chance of damage to the floor. i've done it that way so that the bottom row of wall tiles overlaps the floor tiles so there's less chance of a leak were they meet

D

davemul

Be aware of the fixed showerhead aswell, have you taken into account the tile/adhesive thickness in regard to the shower arm flange? Nothing worse than a load of thread showing or even worse if the flange/coller bottoms out on the tiles before it scews tight. You also need to make sure it tightens at the right place. Ever fitted an outside tap?

I spent about 3 hours measuring for the fixed shower head! :lol: The head is grohe aswell and the threaded spindle screws in to the angle mounted 1/2" you can see in the pic. The shower head then pushes on to the spindle, through a waterproof membrane and then allen key secures.

the shower head also has a nifty sealed 2 part cover. So I have a bit of play with distances.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

davemul

how will you rectify that dave? fit new ones alongside? or maybe plane them?

I've been able to plane a few so I could fit the shower wall panels as per my latest photo's :). On the other walls i've fitted new ones alongside. joys of an 1800's cottage im afraid! these things are sent to try us!

The wall you see that hasnt been done yet is going to prove ultra tricky as its the diagonal supports that throw me out.. plus SHE wants another niche there too! arrghhh.. niches!

D

davemul

That's just a spare mounting box, I'm still waiting for the tv to arrive but I've already routed and fed a twin sky cable so I can terminate it with an rf fitting that goes to a sky hd box in the room above the bathroom. Then there is a feed cable that goes to the next room where the power brick will be plugged in. That should be all that I need. The tv when connected to the sky hd rf2 output gives me all our sky channels and lets me control the sky box a la magic eye With the supplied waterproof remote control

Theoretically it's an ideal set up....! Don't quote me though!

Q

Qwerty

That's just a spare mounting box, I'm still waiting for the tv to arrive but I've already routed and fed a twin sky cable so I can terminate it with an rf fitting that goes to a sky hd box in the room above the bathroom. Then there is a feed cable that goes to the next room where the power brick will be plugged in. That should be all that I need. The tv when connected to the sky hd rf2 output gives me all our sky channels and lets me control the sky box a la magic eye With the supplied waterproof remote control

Theoretically it's an ideal set up....! Don't quote me though!

Sounds good :thumbsup: What TV is it.....is it a mirror TV? Ive seen a few of these recently and they really are good.

S

Stef

The missus is surprisingly on board about the TV! It will be a sovos one. This video actually sold it to me.. cant really get much more waterproof than this I guess...

19" Waterproof TV Submersion Test SOVOS SVBTV19 - YouTube

Bit of a wait for it though, but the suppliers sent me a back box so I could get the walls/tiles up which I thought was cool of them.

that is one mean tv, got ideas floating round my head now!!! wife will kick my a*$e

S

Stef

i aint showing the wife owt on here,she wants the bathroom re doing,i don't know why,i tiled it 9 years ago,its fine ;)

IF IT AINT BROKEN DONT FIX IT!!!:thumbsup:

I dont have that luxury, i moved into the house that jack built last year & i am slowly working my way through the house knocking down & rebuilding each room as i go.
Thats me on to the down stairs toilet/shower room, walls back to brick work & ceiling down, will post some photos in the next few weeks to show a work in progress.

D

davemul

Oh dear! what have I started!

Speaker wise, the actual TV is the speaker, pretty cool....

WELL, today I have been sealing, taping and tanking. Horrible job.. especially when you run out of tape. 30 metres not enough!? So had to run down to Marmox AGAIN!

Tomorrow i'll do the second coat... tell you what.. this mapegum is THICK. doesnt seem to go very far either. NEarly done a 5kg tub for what you can see below.

Ohh I ordered a load of tools/goodies from tradetiler and kwikstick (or something similar) so tiling wont be long!

Im knackered, time for a steak and vodka tonight!

0ab5b64b.jpg

0f26b191.jpg

257a7f9b.jpg

eb67423f.jpg

34e2e8f0.jpg

af7c267d.jpg

03f29c03.jpg

Reply to Bathroom project - Work in progress in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.