Search the forum,

Discuss DIY Tiler - 90 sq m of large format porcelaine tiling making me nervous! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

PJPro

Narrowly avoided a disaster this morning. I had spent some considerable time working out the setting out and managed to come to a layout I thought was going to be OK. I had put my batten on the wall and was physicing myself up to start laying the tiles on the wall.....and then the plumber arrived.

He thought we had agreed that the floor would be tiled first and then the wall. He was particularly keen that the shower tray was installed before the walls tiles and the bath as well. He also wasn't convinced the wet wall was sufficiently high enough for the installation frame. If this changes, then the whole setting out would be wrong. Fortunately, he arrived before I had started. Maybe an agreement had been reached but not with me! I guess someone forgot to tell me.

Anyway, after some investigation the wet wall is the right height and my setting out is unaffected by the bath. We just need to work out exactly where the show tray will go. Clearly, I am trying to avoid tiny slithers of tile. So far I am OK but I suspect the shower tray (which comes with an easy plumb kit) is going to screw up the setting out.

P

PJPro

As long as your sub floor was free of deflection then you will be fine. NMP adds no strength but merely provides an ideal surface to tile to. I have been using it for years.
Hmm. Well I did the lightly jumping test and it seemed OK. I guess it won't be any worse with or without the UFH, will it?

P

PJPro

The shower tray looks a bit pants with the easy plumb kit, so we're not going to use it. So the ceiling is going to have to be removed downstairs so that the waste can be routed under the joists and out into the roof void over the porch. It'll then have to go through every joist in the porch and exit the external wall before going into the soil pipe.

It also affects my layout. I can either lower the batten so that I have whole tiles around the shower and then 55mm tiles along the bottom to the floor or have 45mm tiles around the shower. I can probably jiggle this around a bit to increase the size of tile along the floor. But if I do this, it reduces the size of the tile under the window cill and under the top of the wet wall. These are currently 100mm. With jiggling around, I think I can have these tiles both at around 70mm.

D

doug boardley

Narrowly avoided a disaster this morning. I had spent some considerable time working out the setting out and managed to come to a layout I thought was going to be OK. I had put my batten on the wall and was physicing myself up to start laying the tiles on the wall.....and then the plumber arrived.

He thought we had agreed that the floor would be tiled first and then the wall. He was particularly keen that the shower tray was installed before the walls tiles and the bath as well. He also wasn't convinced the wet wall was sufficiently high enough for the installation frame. If this changes, then the whole setting out would be wrong. Fortunately, he arrived before I had started. Maybe an agreement had been reached but not with me! I guess someone forgot to tell me.

Anyway, after some investigation the wet wall is the right height and my setting out is unaffected by the bath. We just need to work out exactly where the show tray will go. Clearly, I am trying to avoid tiny slithers of tile. So far I am OK but I suspect the shower tray (which comes with an easy plumb kit) is going to screw up the setting out.
Welcome to the tilers world!:lol::lol:

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Speaking as a plumber I'd say be careful when notching joists for pipes' have a look at the building regs for maximum notch depths. If the run is longer than three metres then go up to fifty mm pipe, also make sure the fall is right. Your plumber will of course know this.

P

PJPro

Speaking as a plumber I'd say be careful when notching joists for pipes' have a look at the building regs for maximum notch depths. If the run is longer than three metres then go up to fifty mm pipe, also make sure the fall is right. Your plumber will of course know this.
Fortunately, the joists do not support a floor, so I think the plumber has a little more scope to make the holes big. But as you say, he should know the regs but.....

P

PJPro

The plumber has been on site from 10:00 to about 17:00. Admittedly, the first couple of hours were spent with me sorting out the detail of where things were going and the implications for the tiling. However, in the remainder of the time, he tested a gas pipe which he installed that looked like it had been pierced by screws put up to secure the wet wall and fixed in the installation frames.

The wet saw is not very well constructed. A bit of lathe has been nailed to the wall. Then, about 200mmm in front of this, a 2x2 inche frame has been created. This was screwed to the walls without plugs. The whole thin is a wobbly as hell. The plumber, when fixing the installation frame, tried to fix it to the wall and it simply pulled through the dot and dab. So he's screwed a bit of scrap timber to the lathe and then fixed to the installation frame to it. The whole thing is a total lashup!

I've taken the whole thing down and will construct something new tomorrow.....further delaying the tiling. I wouldn't mind but I'm paying for their time.

D

doug boardley

The plumber has been on site from 10:00 to about 17:00. Admittedly, the first couple of hours were spent with me sorting out the detail of where things were going and the implications for the tiling. However, in the remainder of the time, he tested a gas pipe which he installed that looked like it had been pierced by screws put up to secure the wet wall and fixed in the installation frames.

The wet saw is not very well constructed. A bit of lathe has been nailed to the wall. Then, about 200mmm in front of this, a 2x2 inche frame has been created. This was screwed to the walls without plugs. The whole thin is a wobbly as hell. The plumber, when fixing the installation frame, tried to fix it to the wall and it simply pulled through the dot and dab. So he's screwed a bit of scrap timber to the lathe and then fixed to the installation frame to it. The whole thing is a total lashup!

I've taken the whole thing down and will construct something new tomorrow.....further delaying the tiling. I wouldn't mind but I'm paying for their time.
???? care to elaborate PJ?

Reply to DIY Tiler - 90 sq m of large format porcelaine tiling making me nervous! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen