Search the forum,

Discuss DIY Tiler - 90 sq m of large format porcelaine tiling making me nervous! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

PJPro

Hi!

I'm having a new extension built on my house. In fact, I've spent today putting in the CAT6 ethernet network (cables and conduit) and bashing through the old gable wall to join the two lofts. But that's another story.

My wife also ordered the 600x400mm porcelaine floor tiles (10mm thick) from Topps. I've got 90 sq metres coming by the end of the week. I am growing more than a little nervous about the laying of these tiles. I've got the porch, hall, dining room and kitchen floors downstairs to do, as well as the downstairs toliet (walls and floor). I've also got the floor and walls of the upstairs bathroom to do.

I'm going to be under pressure to be quick as the other trades are going to be waiting for me to finish before the 2nd fix carpenty and plumbing goes in.

I'm expecting the upstairs bathroom to be a special challenge. It will contain a quadrant shower enclosure with on wall mixer. The bath, basin and toilet will be placed against a low wet wall of about 1m high, containing all the pipework. The basin and toilet will be hung off this wall using Gerberit installation frames and a hidden cistern. The bath has wall mounted taps.

So. My worries. Well, the main one is making sure I'm doing things right.

The floor will be a moisture proof chipboard, topped with hardybacker. Do I need anything else? Should I also put down a waterproof membrane? How about the joints of the hardybacker? Do I need to use waterproof membrane on the walls/floor of the shower? How about the dry lined walls generally? Should I seal them with something like uPVA before tiling?

I've read with interest some of the banter over Sigma and Rubi dry cutters. The 3B or TX-700-N look good. But are these really going to do the business in the hands of a novice like me or should I be looking to buy a wet saw? I've used a (cheap) dry cutter before, many years ago, without much success.

I'm very worried about cutting the hole for the toilet flush plate. It's a fairly large affair (Gerberit - Kappa). How on earth am I going to cut such a big hole in a porcelaine floor tile? Using a jigsaw? :eek:mg_smile:

Clearly, I've got a lot of holes to drill. Are those Porsadrills really my best bet? I was shocked to see that each bit lasts long enough for two holes before it's ready for the bin. I do have a large drill press.....does this give me other options?

I'm fairly practical and can turn my hand to just about anything. I used to be a skilled labourer in my younger years and I am a qualified (but inexperienced) plumber. I'm hoping with a bit of good advice and encouragement I can pull this off. :hurray:

Grateful for any comments.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hello and welcome,my 1st question is have you done any tiling before? if not this is a mammoth job for a 1st timer

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Clearly, I've got a lot of holes to drill. Are those Porsadrills really my best bet? I was shocked to see that each bit lasts long enough for two holes before it's ready for the bin.

Who said this?!

If you checkout the instructions, and the more appealing to the eye instructional video, I think you'll get more than several cuts from each bit. Given the fact a bunch of bits come in at a reasonable price, you should have enough for a couple of bathrooms all in all.

For the avid whole driller in really tough porcelain then consider the RotoZip or BOSCH GTR-30something something which is replacing the RotoZip. A very very nice piece of kit and is reviewed by Dave in the tools forum.

Oh and, welcome to the forum. :)

P

PJPro

Hi there! My first reply on this forum. Thanks kilty55.

I did a small amount of tiling when I installed a kitchen for my mum. But other than that......

While I do have 90 sq m to lay, the bulk of the work can be completed in slower time. So, for instance, the downstairs floor (approx 40 sq m) will not be laid until the screed has had a chance to go off. But I do have to get the upstairs bathroom done and dusted in about a week....and the plumber will be waiting. And it's the room which requires all the tricky drilling, etc.

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Hi and welcome, with all due respect and I mean this, if you have other trades waiting for you, and if this is your first tiling job, you are in very deep water, you have so many different substrate preparations and adhesives to consider, tanking ( waterproofing ) and so much inthe way of setting out it blows my mind thinking of it being your first job.

Alan.P

TF
Reaction score
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, must type faster, if you can split the job into smaller segments we should be able to help step by step,have you thought about getting a pro tiler though ?

G

Gazzer

Wowo, lots of questions.
1st dont use PVA, use a tile primer as recommended by the adhesive manufacturer you are using.

2nd. Porsadrills last a lot longer than they say, use water though to keep cool and help clean the bit.

3rd Walls, make sure they can take the weight of the tiles...more info needed.

4th, Tanking membranes in shower areas Deffo, seems like a lot of money going on here so why cut corners

5th Cutters, both machines fine but the Rubi would be the chooice of most 1st timers IMO, It really depends what you are used to. Wet cutters are great but not needed so much with the tiles you have chosen and I wouldnt want to cut everything on my wet cutter.

6th Are you sure you can meet deadlines ? Maybe worth getting a pro in to do the tiling.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
ok mate,il lbe honest if your paying for porcelain iyt wil be costing you no doubt,my opinion is get a pro in. your obviously looking for a good finish as your also emplying a plumber etc.

if you get the tiling wrong it will totally ruin the job,normally id give positive advice to go for it but on a job that size with almost zero experience i would say get a tiler in

D

DHTiling

Hi and welcome.. Ok .. If you have the time , we have the skills to talk you through it..:):):)

P

PJPro

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, must type faster, if you can split the job into smaller segments we should be able to help step by step,have you thought about getting a pro tiler though ?
Hmm. I did consider it. But then I ran out of money.

F

faithhealer

wow hell of a first job welcome to the forum, step by step and the lads will talk you through it

D

doug boardley

what's your timescale for the bathroom PJ, maybe we can address this first as it seems to be the priority at the mo

G

guil.rocha

Hello mate, maybe I could come over and take a look at the job. I'm based in Poole and I give very competative prices. Check out some of our work at stylingtiling.webs.com

Reply to DIY Tiler - 90 sq m of large format porcelaine tiling making me nervous! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen