Search the forum,

Discuss DIY Tiler - 90 sq m of large format porcelaine tiling making me nervous! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

ScottG13

I, like most have been following this thread but its all gone quiet for a while. Guessing PJ has been busy busy

P

PJPro

What do you do for a living PJ?
Just interested...
I am a senior engineering manager for an aerospace company. I have a background in software.

I went back into education at around 27 after doing a number of jobs; metal worker, van driver, motorcycle courier, order picker, skilled labourer, etc. I took a National Diploma, a degree (BSc Hons) and a second degree (MSc). During my education, I worked for nature conversancy groups as an estate worker and for a county council.

After completing my education, I worked for the government as an ecologist / modeller / software programmer before joining the aerospace company for whom I currently work.

Despite my academic background, I've always been good with my hands. I tend to be able to do lots of things well but rarely excel at anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

PJPro

The work is progressing well, if slowly. I'm taking my time on the walls. I do have lots of pictures (of the entire job) but haven't had any time to post them. I will try and do something this weekend.

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Wow Aerospace?

My freinds son does a similar thing but he had to sign the official secrets act I think.

I'm glad the jobs going well.

Last edited:
P

PJPro

When I installed the UFH, I followed the instructions on the pack. Once I had taped down the loose wires, I tiled straight over the top. However, I've seen a few posts which refer to SLC with regard to UFH. What is SLC and should I have used it? What's the impact of not using it?

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
slc is self levelling compound

it will encapsulate the ufh and protect it,say you needed to change a tile a year down the line due to a breakage then it will be easier to remove it

also going over the wires with adhesive can leave hot spots...areas uncovered

D

DHTiling

When I installed the UFH, I followed the instructions on the pack. Once I had taped down the loose wires, I tiled straight over the top. However, I've seen a few posts which refer to SLC with regard to UFH. What is SLC and should I have used it? What's the impact of not using it?

Nothing as long as you fully enbed the wires into adhesive,,

P

PJPro

OK. I've got the night off so time to post some pictures (in between ordering doors, lights, etc).

DSCF7602.jpg
Tanking the shower area in the dark.

DSCF7610.jpg
The completed job.

DSCF7628.jpg
My re-installation of the wet wall

DSCF7667.jpg
The loose wire UFH goes down.

DSCF7654.jpg
D'ya remember that night out...

DSCF7675.jpg
The floor tiles being laid

DSCF7685.jpg
Floor tiles almost done...

DSCF7687.jpg
But not under the shower......

DSCF7686.jpg
.......or the bath.

DSCF7711.jpg
Starting on the wall tiles

DSCF7712.jpg
and getting addy all over the new shower tray

DSCF7710.jpg
A bit more progress

DSCF7703.jpg

With all this downstairs to do.

I've actually made a little more progress than the pictures suggest. One wall is now completely tiles and doesn't look too bad. Had a few problems yesterday with the addy being too wet. We seem to be getting a fair few lumps as well despite a real thorough mixing with the paddle mixer.

Reply to DIY Tiler - 90 sq m of large format porcelaine tiling making me nervous! in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen