Search the forum,

Discuss Garage floor advice... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Back again...

Dear all,

Got a large garage floor c 40sqm+ which is going to be used for vehicles.
It'll be a new concrete floor and the customer has chosen a form of slate tile that needs to sealed (not seen them yet but think they are 300 x 300) so my questions are...

Once sub floor has fully dried out etc...

Should I require a sub floor e.g. durabase matting ?
Recommended adhesives - slow set flexible and certain brand from experiences?
Size of trowel - guessing I need 100% coverage so back buttering on a 6mm trowel ?

I'll leave one expansion joint for 'belt and braces' and use 3mm spacers
Also use a bevelled trim at the entrance

Any other suggestions gratefully accepted

Cheers in advance (as always)

M

Matt Bott

I don't think 6mm trowel + backbuttering would give you 100% you may need to go bigger

F

Flintstone

I was going to comment on the 6mm but thought there were other concerns. 300x300 slate is usually riven slate, usually cheap, and usually incredibly fragile and uneven

Reaction score
sorry to have raised eyebrows but just hear me out ...,

Re. 6mm trowel.... I've always used 10mm or a 'tiger' trowel (so called be my independent supplier for its gauge!!!) . I saw on an earlier thread that there were concerns raised getting 100% coverage with 10mm which is clearly essential and assumed the 6mm back buttered would minimise air trap potential.

Re tiles.... as I explained I haven't seen them so maybe I've got the facts wrong but I have. Even told they are slate effect and need sealing - I guess the tile will be fit for purpose as the customer is fairly switched on

So hopefully I've clarified points and calmed concerns !!!!! Still open to advise so thanks again in advance

Reaction score
In what context!!!!! ?
i clearly assumed something incorrectly....smaller gauge less air potential... sounds silly now Can we now move on from the 6mm trowel comment !?

Reply to Garage floor advice... in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen