Search the forum,

Discuss How to lift old floor adhesive in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Twotanks

Hi
Any advice on removing old adhesive from plywood floor? Previous tiler has used a cement based adhesive to lay glass floor tiles. Problem is whilst the adhesive has stuck really well to the plywood floor, it did not take to the glass tiles. The result is the glass tiles were very easily removed intact.

Have tried scraping the old stuff off, even tried softening it with steam but it wont budge.

Was thinking of the possibility of over boarding the adhesive layer or trying a new flexible adhesive on top of the old stuff.

I'm worried that the old adhesive will let me down in future and wreck the job.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

T

Twotanks

Evening all - I used an SDS drill with a 2" blade and it came off. Very little damage to the underlying ply floor. Will be retiling on top with the same glass tiles that came off. Previous tiler did the job about four years ago - adhesive stuck to the ply floor but not to the tiles. I think the grout was the only thing keeping it all in pace and when the grout started to go the tiles began to shift.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Reply to How to lift old floor adhesive in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Make sure to mark a post as a solution for better transparency.

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.