Search the forum,

Discuss Looking to remove tiles in Bathroom (need advice) in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Romelee

TF
Dorset
Hi all,

I am getting quotes in at the moment for my bathroom to be fully tiled, all walls top to bottom and floor.

So far the quotes are ranging from £590-690 but before any of them can do any work i need to remove the tiles.

So now the dreaded bit, what would be the best way?

All i can tell you is the following:

Left wall is plasterboard, behind that wall is a walk in cupboard.

Back wall is plasterboard, behind that wall is my next door neighbours house joint to mine.

Right wall is plasterboard, behind that wall is the front of my house.

Any ideas of the best way to remove the tiles without damaging the plasterboard to a extent that it will have to be replaced.

I was thinking of getting a cheap SDS drill but not to sure as i don't want to buy something for this sole purpose only to find out i will still have to replace all of the plasterboard.

Also attached some piccys of the tiled walls i need to remove.

Your thoughts are most welcome.

All the best

Jay

Left Wall-min.JPG Back Wall-min.JPG Right Wall-min.JPG

Romelee

TF
Dorset
No problem. You have the plumbing side etc in order?

Yep, i will be doing that myself, fully researched how to take shower unit off and replace new sink, replaced a sink and toilet in another property i lived in before....will also be putting all new fixtures on the bath and sink.

I have done tiling loads of times, just never done tiling when it comes to removing walls, i would tile it myself but my arthritus says no:(

Old age is starting to kick in, and they say life starts at 40:confused:

Jay

Romelee

TF
Dorset
If you go with the Brighton tiles remember to add 30-40% more to allow for glaze faults, chipped edges and completely different sized tiles I’m talking 2-3mm.

I fit a fair few BCT tiles, they are not all bad but these ones will be.

Keep back all the bad ones and get a refund from where you buy them from.

I have decided to get better tiles as i don't want to spend lots of money getting someone to tile it only to find out the tiles are poorly made, gonna have a look at Brookes tomorrow.

Also how would i know a bad brand over a good brand?

Jay

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Uk
I don’t really think you will until you start to fit them.

I have used tiles from Spain, Turkey, Italy, all over and you will get good and bad from most places.
Don’t forget, a higher price will not always ensure better quality tiles, from my experience anyway.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK

Reply to Looking to remove tiles in Bathroom (need advice) in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few ways to fix tile to bathroom walls. First you need to prepare the walls for tiling. Note that...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log burner on a plaster render on blockwork wall. I’m planning to score and scrape the paint off the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm hoping you can help with some feedback, please My parents are currently having a new bathroom installed, all stripped back to bare walls and floor. The fitter has done/hasn't done...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room but my wife likes the idea of a feature wall tile and then a grey / white tile on the other 3...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster. Over the years I've used the good advice that I've read on this forum but with my current project I am a bit stumped. I am renovating an ensuite, it's...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement