Search the forum,

Discuss Tile Trim Question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gooner

First post. Amazing forum for tiling info.

I have a question about fitting 12mm aluminium tile trim. I've searched the forum, but haven't found exactly what I am after.

I'm halfway through my tiling job and am up to the point where I need to work out how to tile some external corners. I have several "niches" I have built into the wall studs. E.g. I have a shelf in the shower that I need tile.

My current plan is to use polished aluminium tile trim on the niches. I have mitred the the tile trim to 45 degrees quite accurately, but I believe that unless it is absolutely perfect (which is not practically achievable), there will always be some sharp edges that will be difficult to eliminate regardless of how careful I mitre and place the trim. (I don't want to be cutting myself against sharp trim while showering!)

The other alternative is to cut the tiles with a 45 degree bevel at the external corner edges and not use tile trim at all. I can do this using my diamond disk tile cutter as the bed is able to be tilted at a 45 degree angle. However, it is difficult to cut the tile with a 45 degree bevel without chipping the sharp corner on a glazed ceramic tile. Also I fear that the sharp edge may be damaged easily even once grout is applied between the edges.

Any suggestions or hints would be greatly appreciated. I have attached an image where I have slighlty misaligned the trim to illustrate the point I am making about the sharp edges. The tiles are 600x300 and around 12mm thick.

Attachments

• tile_trim_mitre.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 143
G

grumpygrouter

it may be possible to get corner pieces for your trim which eliminates the need for mitring. Check with your supplier of the trim.:thumbsup:

G

Gooner

it may be possible to get corner pieces for your trim which eliminates the need for mitring. Check with your supplier of the trim.:thumbsup:

Manufacturer doesn't make corner pieces. Haven't seen any on the 6 or so tile shops I've gone around looking.

G

GETMEINTOTILING

HEY, dunno if im on the right page but im desperate to get into tiling and im really jus wondering if u really need qualifications because i have experience but no qual and just wondering if i can work self employed with no qualifications, thanks

G

grumpygrouter

HEY, dunno if im on the right page but im desperate to get into tiling and im really jus wondering if u really need qualifications because i have experience but no qual and just wondering if i can work self employed with no qualifications, thanks
I have already replied to your query in your original thread. Check it out.:thumbsup:

G

Gooner

Ah! all becomes clear now, you are in Oz! Why don't you drop "mick the Tiler" a pm, he is our Australian forums mod and a bit of a tiling whizz. I am sure he could point you in the right direction.:thumbsup:

tilersforums.com | Tile Forums | Tiling Forum - View Profile: MICK the Tiler

Thanks Grumpy. I will give it a try. I am suprised at the lack of an "off the shelf" solution for these situations. I believe that having to mitre trim is less than ideal.

I have seen some trim with corner pieces, but certainly does not seem popular/common.

G

Gooner

Forget corner pieces they look naf! Get yourself a good mitre box and mitre the trim. One of these might help, new mitre box for trims

Thanks Rob. However, I recently sacrificed a couple of tiles and trim to rig up a sample external corner with trim. I also experiemented by mitering the tile edge at 45 degrees and not using the trim at all. (I.e. a birds mouth type joint).

The birds mouth type join with some grouting around the edges looks significantly better than using the tile trim. So I have decided to toss away the $80 worth of tile trim (or at least tuck it away for another day) and go with mitering the tile joins instead.

Thanks for the feedback.

D

Deleted member 1779

One thing you might not realise is that grout and silicone go a long way to softening out the corners. I did just the same thing with my niche's and windows. Used ally trim, plastic trim and finally not mitres on the tiles, but the tile edges themselves.

All I can say is that when you grout it does fix a lot of these problems. Of course accuracy in cutting is also helpful.

window.jpg

Window or niche without any trim (tile edges only)

window2.jpg

Window or niche with plastic trim (in same colour as tiles) Also note: Look to the right of the picture and you will just see a niche with the tile edges on full show. No trim.

window3.jpg

Close up of trim with the silicone and the grout to soften the look / joint

toilet.jpg

That niche again with no tile trim (showing the loo roll....)

metal-trim.jpg

Metal trim should "soften in" when grouted / siliconed. Look to the length of the ally strip to see that the grout will 'take' if spread over the joint.

Richard.

Reply to Tile Trim Question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen