Search the forum,

Discuss Tile Trim Question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

Gooner

First post. Amazing forum for tiling info.

I have a question about fitting 12mm aluminium tile trim. I've searched the forum, but haven't found exactly what I am after.

I'm halfway through my tiling job and am up to the point where I need to work out how to tile some external corners. I have several "niches" I have built into the wall studs. E.g. I have a shelf in the shower that I need tile.

My current plan is to use polished aluminium tile trim on the niches. I have mitred the the tile trim to 45 degrees quite accurately, but I believe that unless it is absolutely perfect (which is not practically achievable), there will always be some sharp edges that will be difficult to eliminate regardless of how careful I mitre and place the trim. (I don't want to be cutting myself against sharp trim while showering!)

The other alternative is to cut the tiles with a 45 degree bevel at the external corner edges and not use tile trim at all. I can do this using my diamond disk tile cutter as the bed is able to be tilted at a 45 degree angle. However, it is difficult to cut the tile with a 45 degree bevel without chipping the sharp corner on a glazed ceramic tile. Also I fear that the sharp edge may be damaged easily even once grout is applied between the edges.

Any suggestions or hints would be greatly appreciated. I have attached an image where I have slighlty misaligned the trim to illustrate the point I am making about the sharp edges. The tiles are 600x300 and around 12mm thick.

Attachments

• tile_trim_mitre.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 146
G

grumpygrouter

it may be possible to get corner pieces for your trim which eliminates the need for mitring. Check with your supplier of the trim.:thumbsup:

G

Gooner

it may be possible to get corner pieces for your trim which eliminates the need for mitring. Check with your supplier of the trim.:thumbsup:

Manufacturer doesn't make corner pieces. Haven't seen any on the 6 or so tile shops I've gone around looking.

G

GETMEINTOTILING

HEY, dunno if im on the right page but im desperate to get into tiling and im really jus wondering if u really need qualifications because i have experience but no qual and just wondering if i can work self employed with no qualifications, thanks

G

grumpygrouter

HEY, dunno if im on the right page but im desperate to get into tiling and im really jus wondering if u really need qualifications because i have experience but no qual and just wondering if i can work self employed with no qualifications, thanks
I have already replied to your query in your original thread. Check it out.:thumbsup:

G

Gooner

Ah! all becomes clear now, you are in Oz! Why don't you drop "mick the Tiler" a pm, he is our Australian forums mod and a bit of a tiling whizz. I am sure he could point you in the right direction.:thumbsup:

tilersforums.com | Tile Forums | Tiling Forum - View Profile: MICK the Tiler

Thanks Grumpy. I will give it a try. I am suprised at the lack of an "off the shelf" solution for these situations. I believe that having to mitre trim is less than ideal.

I have seen some trim with corner pieces, but certainly does not seem popular/common.

Reply to Tile Trim Question in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen