Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling onto self levelled / compacting concrete surface in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Our ground floor construction is a mesh reinforced structural concrete floor that was poured using Aggregate Industries' Agilia self levelling / self compacting concrete so as to eliminate the wasteful screed process (Agilia® - https://www.aggregate.com/products-and-services/ready-mix-concrete/performance/agilia). The result is a perfectly smooth and flat concrete floor (76m2) that we now wish to tile over in porcelain .

I have checked with their technical team who advise – “It would also be worth scarifying the surface so that there's a good key as you may not get good adhesion without it. Then you need to ensure you use a cementitious based tile adhesive. If you use a gypsum based adhesive then it will degrade the concrete and pop the tiles in no time. All in all yes you can tile onto the surface but it would be advisable to follow the steps above.”

The slab has been down for 8 months and there isn't the slightest hint of a single crack anywhere - although the ufh has not been commissioned yet. Given that there is ufh within this slab, I’m not sure whether or not a tile mat is required so would be interested to get your views and if so, what type of mat.

Kevbos

Arms
London, UK
Our ground floor construction is a mesh reinforced structural concrete floor that was poured using Aggregate Industries' Agilia self levelling / self compacting concrete so as to eliminate the wasteful screed process (Agilia® - https://www.aggregate.com/products-and-services/ready-mix-concrete/performance/agilia). The result is a perfectly smooth and flat concrete floor (76m2) that we now wish to tile over in porcelain .

I have checked with their technical team who advise – “It would also be worth scarifying the surface so that there's a good key as you may not get good adhesion without it. Then you need to ensure you use a cementitious based tile adhesive. If you use a gypsum based adhesive then it will degrade the concrete and pop the tiles in no time. All in all yes you can tile onto the surface but it would be advisable to follow the steps above.”

The slab has been down for 8 months and there isn't the slightest hint of a single crack anywhere - although the ufh has not been commissioned yet. Given that there is ufh within this slab, I’m not sure whether or not a tile mat is required so would be interested to get your views and if so, what type of mat.
It sounds like anhydrate screed ! I would get in writing the exact methods they suggest and materials to be used and follow that to the letter , only way to be sure

Reply to Tiling onto self levelled / compacting concrete surface in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm planning to tile my kitchen floor with 8mm porcelain floor tiles (660x440mm). My kitchen floor is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in preparation for tiling. A couple of days after there's a lot of very fine cracks which have appeared, you...
Replies
Views
  • Question
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe had worn away over the past 70 years, causing a small crack in the copper. A plumber/builder fixed...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I‘ve just finished tiling the majority of my garden path. Base is concrete, and tiles are porcelain. I’ve just got to the end of my bag of Mapei flexible rapid set tile adhesive (powdered)...
Replies
Views

Advertisement