Search the forum,

Discuss When tiling goes wrong in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Just revisited a lady I originally quoted to tile a bathroom for about 6 weeks ago. She decided to go with the "young man" who seemed to be just "starting out" to "give him a chance". We were apparently about the same price quote....

Tonight she was nearly in tears and quite at a loss. The young man had tiled the bathroom, and the tiles are up and down like a yo-yo, the levels are completely out across the whole room. The worst bit was the half height tiling around the window wall at the end of the room. With a window recess and pipe boxing to contend with, the tiles go seem to reverse slant every corner they go around. The trims are very rough, and where a 3-way mitre or corner piece should go, a sharp point sticks out. The tiles are miscut at the corners - leaving gaps 10mm wide filled with grout.

I am not going to post pictures of the subsequent mess. I think the lady has suffered enough.

I told her that any tradesman worth their pay cheque, would accept the mistakes and redo it. He refused. I could go on about rogue traders nicking work off me, and it's not the first time this has happened.

I have agreed to re-tile the worst section, - the entire window wall, and half way down another, between two points where the laser shows a level exists. Because it's all recesses and lots of pipe boxing, it will cost her two days plus materials.

So if you are looking to hire a tradesman to tile for you ask some questions about the work they intend to do (do they know what they are talking about?). Ask to see photographs of previous work, and comments from previous customers. Are any previous customers willing to recommend their work? Check them out by searching their name and/or business online. And finally, don't pay for work that is clearly substandard.

O

Old Mod

All good advice Andy, unfortunately most clients with problems like these only find the forum after the fact.
It's a shame, but the way it is!

gamma38

TF
Reaction score
I blame the clients in every way. How many programmes does there have to be before people wake up to chancers. I still get people phoning me saying

"oh i thought you would be able to do it this week"

"the other guy is a fair bit cheaper"

"my mate said it's only a couple of days work"

"you can just chuck the tiles on that can't you"

The list goes on and on..

O

Old Mod

I blame the clients in every way. How many programmes does there have to be before people wake up to chancers. I still get people phoning me saying

"oh i thought you would be able to do it this week"

"the other guy is a fair bit cheaper"

"my mate said it's only a couple of days work"

"you can just chuck the tiles on that can't you"

The list goes on and on..
Hahahahaha! Had a bad week Paul? :p

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Oh come on, we need pics , or personally I don't believe you :)
It's only fair Andy, it could be your just being picky and extreamly jealous of someone else nicking your work :fearscream::kissingheart:

Yeah come on let's see how bad this really is ??

hk940

Arms
Reaction score
I can remember three over the last 50 years (there were others). Two where I had given the estimate and not got the job and the third where someone else had started the job.
The first was the two sisters, who were the owners of the stock broker company where my wife worked.
The job was for a floor that covered several rooms.
The first red flag was when They asked about financing, I said they could buy the materials with a CC then pay me for the labor.
I did not get the job, several months later I get a call from them asking to come over and look at the job.
When I got there the floor was a mess, they asked me what I could do to fix it, I said tear it out and start over.
I had some done jobs for others in the firm, and they would, tell the two owners (rubbing it in) that they should have let me do the job.

The second was a tumbled marble shower, WC area and where the sinks were.
The job was about 90% complete and the installer had used toothpicks as spacers, except he had not removed them before the moartar adhesive had set up, making the removal of them impossible.
The answer was the same as the first.

The third was an estimate for a marble shower/ Jacuzzi tub/floor. It was a complicated job with a curved marble covered tub deck, and a thick set floor.
A few weeks later (I did not get the job) I got a call from the lady asking how to get the adhesive off the gold plated facets, I told her it should not have got on in the first place!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I can remember three over the last 50 years (there were others). Two where I had given the estimate and not got the job and the third where someone else had started the job.
The first was the two sisters, who were the owners of the stock broker company where my wife worked.
The job was for a floor that covered several rooms.
The first red flag was when They asked about financing, I said they could buy the materials with a CC then pay me for the labor.
I did not get the job, several months later I get a call from them asking to come over and look at the job.
When I got there the floor was a mess, they asked me what I could do to fix it, I said tear it out and start over.
I had some done jobs for others in the firm, and they would, tell the two owners (rubbing it in) that they should have let me do the job.

The second was a tumbled marble shower, WC area and where the sinks were.
The job was about 90% complete and the installer had used toothpicks as spacers, except he had not removed them before the moartar adhesive had set up, making the removal of them impossible.
The answer was the same as the first.

The third was an estimate for a marble shower/ Jacuzzi tub/floor. It was a complicated job with a curved marble covered tub deck, and a thick set floor.
A few weeks later (I did not get the job) I got a call from the lady asking how to get the adhesive off the gold plated facets, I told her it should not have got on in the first place!
Thanks for sharing with us mate!
I've given you access to the TilersForums Arms. Mine's a pint of Guinness. :D

Reply to When tiling goes wrong in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen