Discuss £250 to spend - what should I buy? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mpajones

Hi guys

I'm tiling a bathroom over Christmas. Porcelain floor (30/30) and wall tiles (30x60), approx 10mm thick. Part of the floor area is a wetroom shower tray (1700 x 900), so will need to do a few tricky angular cuts too for the grout lines.

I currently have a small plasplugs score-snap cutter, and a £30 electric diamond wheel push-through-saw from other jobs I've done over the years, but fear these won't cut the mustard when it comes to neat cuts in porcelain. Got around £250 to spend - what would you recommend I get to do the above?? I quite fancy a TS60 / TS60 PLUS, but don't know whether this'll make a neat enough job of the grout line cuts (and possibly leave really sharp edges?), but the other thing I'm looking at (Vitrex 900w bridge saw) gets pretty mixed reviews.

Need to buy this tomorrow while the shops are still open....

You help is much appreciated!
Matt

T

tfs

Have a look in the tools for sale section of the forum and you might find a cracking deal!

I personally dont rate the ts range for porcelain, although I have seen he ts60 plus cut porcelain, it left a tail on the bottom of a 60x60 tile on just about every cut (and this wa on a demo day by the Manufacturer, lol)

tx700 is what I use, big clinker is a decent bit of kit for the price but from time to time I have found this to be tricky on some porcelain tiles too but, what you cant do with a big clinker, you can do with a grinder (so I agree with Brian J with his reccomendation)

R

Rich

Good points above but I would go for the TS PLUS, I dont think the TS is able to cut porcy?? I have always had them and think they are great. Not a patch on the TX but brilliant for the money. It should cut your tiles as neatly as you need with a little help with some sand paper or a tile file to get rid of any shape edges.As said above, Id also buy a cheap grinder and a decent disk for it. Hope this is some kind of help :thumbsup:

I use my TS50 on porcelain with no problems, ok, maybe one or two tails but if you take care to score the whole length of the tile it's fine, my TX700 is better but you cant beat the portability of the TS's, so much so that in the new year I'm going to have either a TS60 or a TS50L, I use the TS60 on other jobs that I subbie on with no problems on 600x600 porc, again, maybe the odd tail if you don't score it properly, but on the whole, they do the job.

T

tfs

big clinker............£50 b and q.......... vitrex 750 wet cutter £100 topps........ dust sheet up well and you can use it in the house and £100 to spend on celebrating a job well done.

I saw the offer on the big clinker in my tradepoint catalogue and went in store to get one approx 2 months back. Turned out to be the old catalogue mate so they no longer sell the big clinker (i was gutted at missing out on that as screwfix is around the £100 mark now)

Still have a big clinker but thought a spare would be a good bargain at £50

M

mpajones

Wow guys, thanks for the flood of advice!

You know - since I got into tiling I've always wanted to own a Rubi, but it seems that my budget unfortunately won't stretch to the one it seems will do everything no questions (TX700). Screwfix has conveniently just reduced the Big Clinker £74.95 (I think in the last couple of days, haha!!), so I'm going to go for that (and sandpaper for the sharp edges!) and the Rubi will have to wait for another project...

I have a small grinder with a diamond wheel, and will use my plasplugs tabletop for the two or three L-shaped cuts I have to do.

Thanks again!!

Matt

Reply to £250 to spend - what should I buy? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

We have had a tile tile a bathroom and an ensuite and are not happy with the overall finish of...
Replies
Views
It was his first day today. I found him on mybuilder. He wasn't the cheapest quote and I chose...
Replies
Views
So... have a problem maybe some of you guys (and girls) might be able to help with. Laid a new...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O
Hi All, I urgently need some advice and not sure where to turn. We are having some major...
Replies
Views
Rookery
R
Morning chaps! I have been lurking on here for a while now, gathering bits of information and...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
£250 to spend - what should I buy?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.