Discuss 365drills needs YOUR help. Feedback required from you re advert National newspapers in the Tilers' Talk - All Other Countries area at TilersForums.com.

F

faithhealer

Re: 365drills needs YOUR help. Feedback required from you re advert National newspap

Sorry richard, personally i wouldn't look twice at the advert as a professional. Perhaps you are using the wrong 'focus group'. Perhaps Sun readers (as diyers) might buy your product but I have to repeat previous posters.
The advert is too busy and I wouldn't bother with the drilling instructions until they have bought your product. To most people ,a drills a drill.

You don't mention it's british made( thats still the case isn't it)

Am I being sterotypical in saying you would be better off with a picture of one of your girls in the pilot shirts?

Do people still fill those little forms in? Reminds me of the old "big Slipper or diy hair dressing clippers' it says 'tacky' to me.

I'm a big supporter of your drills Richard and want you to do well but showed this to my wife and she said jml without knowing what it was.

C

Colour Republic

Re: 365drills needs YOUR help. Feedback required from you re advert National newspap

Can you not do a co-op ad with your distributor to ease the cost a little?

BTW after I spoke to you I've been into quite a few tile and tool shops asking for your product knowing full well they didn't stock it, they showed me other products which were twice the price. I said no and asked if they could get me a set in, I then mentioned that I 'thought' I'd seen an ad that said it was distributed by 'Artic' which nobody had heard of i'm afraid.

Most of them told me the product would be rubbish at that price but I insisted that people had only said good things about it and pointed them to this very site. So I've planted a few seeds, you might get something back from it, you never know.

D

Deleted member 1779

Fantastic responses and I am enjoying reading and thinking about every post. You are posting valid readable stuff.

I would like to stand back from this post. The temptation (for me) is to respond to every post and suggestion. I have decided not to address specific comments so as not to influence or guide your ideas. I want you to shoot straight from the hip.. And thats what you are doing.

HOWEVER!! A a general thing I wanted to say: We are going to test OTP advertising. Some of you point out concerns with this particular style of advertising known in the press as "off the page sales" I dont know if OTP will work or if it is right.

My wife expressed concern OTP is toot failing to sell very well via retail outlets. Its junk that cant be sold. She gave examples of mens trousers with stretchy waist bands, health pills and devices for the elderly.

Whilst I agree there is a danger of forever being labelled this catagory I am swayed by the fact the exposure and the market exposure is huge (millions) so I am still willing to test OTP. We will try the Sun purely on numbers (3.2million) to give the best market reach.

I said at the start the danger is if I respond to comments it might seem defensive or that I have taken a view. The reality is very different.. I think about each post seriously and if I agree with you it has an impact on what I do with that ad.

Again thank you for your valuable posts. They are thought provoking and I really do enjoy reading them.

C

Colour Republic

Hi 365,

Do they sell 3.2 million copies, or do they have 3.2 million readers? I recently went to place an ad in the local rag and they told me they had 160,000 readers, later when i asked how many copies they printed they said 40,000. Hang on a minute!... they later explained that although they only printed 40,000 they placed free copies in places like the hospital waiting rooms that had 10,000 visitors a day and the paper might be in there for a week. I can't believe they had the cheek to add these visitors to thier figures!!

I agree it's hard to hold your tounge when you've got an idea that you feel will work but others don't, I too have had the same and I get very defensive about it, trouble is I can't help but open my mouth:lol: well done

C

cornish_crofter

Richard.

The concern that your wife mentioned about OTP advertising was what one of the issues that was in my mind when I wrote my post earlier. You've put it over very well in a couple of sentances. I couldn't find the words myself.

I still feel that you could split the Sun readers into 2 general groups where your product is concerned:

1) Those who have never experienced the need for a better drill for tiles

2) Those who have and have gone out looking for such a solution. These people may know that, for example B&Q sell kits similar to yours for around £60, cheaper than the £120 for the individual bits you mention but not as cheap as the £49.99 you are offering yours for

Also, I may have said this earlier, but the average DIYer may not be interested in the 16mm, 30mm or the 40mm bits. They are likely to be fitting mirrors or bathroom cabinets etc and hence will only be interested in the 6 and 8mm bits. Cheaper kits at arond £30 would get the product into more peoples' homes, and the accompanying literature you send will invite them to buy the bigger sets/single items.

Q

quackfly

i tend to agree with the other members. To me this ad looks like one of those ads promoting useless tat or the latest cant do without without gadget, you know like the one where you can make your own coleslaw saving£££'s I'm saying what i see in that ad, thast all. Now anyone who is familiar with this forum knows you have a quallity product and i hope the comments are taken with the same spirit in which they're given, its just this ad is too condensed, and just looks like just another back page ad selling probably an inferior product. maybe less info is more in this case?

G

graham31

These sort of ads yes i may look at but more often than not i just flip by them.If this ad is getting place towards the back of the paper my own personnel thoughts are these ads are gimmicks and won't work,besides it will get lost in all the phone adverts.

Lets face it guys go to the back pages to read the sport then flip to the front for page3,i'm not being sexiest but most of your market will be men and thats what men do.So the ad maybe lost in that section.

It has been mentioned before but a sexy young lady in the ad will get mens attention.

I know your a big company and aiming at a diff market but my experience of advertising in a paper all be it a local rag has thrown up nothing so i'm not entirely sure a papers the way to go maybe some trade mag maybe more profitable then your targeting your market appose to a bit hit and a miss with DIYers who lets face it don't know any better and will go to the DIY sheds to buy THE 1 DRILL THEY NEED not a full set that they'll use once then lie in the shed for years on end.

As for your ad it's very busy like i said before i wouldn't read it fully,i lost interest at the start but maybe thats because i know your product works from reading testimonials on here.

Maybe you could have a word way Dan and get him to clump testimonies together in one or several pages and put a link to that in your ad in a quite prominent place showing your product actually works and at that price it's not cheap and nasty s***

Good luck with what ever you decide

T

tile55

Im inclined to agree with most of the posts about bein busy and clustered. Personally I would like to see a DIY type kit, which will have maybe two 6mm, two 8mm and a 10mm drill bit as these are proberly the most popular for drilling holes for raw plugs for hanging mirrors, toilet roll holders and the like.

In defence of wanting to post an ad in the Sun newspaper. 2-3 million people is a lot of exposure and if 1-5% of these people decide to buy the product then that is quite a lot of revenue for a business.

Obviously this type of marketing works with some success as the companies keep on doing it.

D

Deleted member 1779

Just a quick update on this:

REVISED UPDATE:

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE COMMENTS BELOW: WE HAVE FINISHED THE AD AND ARE PREPARED TO RUN IT AND READY TO TEST THE MARKET.
I appreciate all of the comments and have decided to take a huge business risk (financial risk) by running the ad.

Like any gamble it can pay off both ways. The ad agencies now have this completed copy and as soon as a slot opens up we run...

Finished Copy

Reply to 365drills needs YOUR help. Feedback required from you re advert National newspapers in the Tilers' Talk - All Other Countries area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everybody, I've come up with a new way that I'd like the forum to work. I've built a quick...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm really hoping you all can help as I am at my wits end. We have hired...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hello we are currently trying to choose a tile to lay on the ground floor (70m2) of our house...
Replies
Views
I'm toying around with some of the colours around the site to make it easier to read and keep...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
365drills needs YOUR help. Feedback required from you re advert National newspapers
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Tilers' Talk - All Other Countries
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond