Discuss 7 questions about tarvertine that I never wanted to have to ask..... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

scotster

Dear Tilers.

I'm doing my bathroom and I need some help please. I've tiled ceramics a couple of times but we have now moved on to TRAVERTINE...:yikes:

I've looked at a LOT of posts on the forum which are full of LOTS of very very good info and with the sincere hope I don't frustrate anyone I just wanted to check what I'd learnt before I 'stayed calm and carried on'.

I'm putting in some honed-filled-mechanically-polished-travertine in a bathroom.

1) Does the travertine in the wet area need impregnating? If so where is a good place to buy product and what brand? Lithofin? LTP?
2) I'm assuming it then ALL needs sealing even those areas not getting splashed?
3) What does honed mean ???!!:yikes:
4) I am going butt the edges and polish them using a low variable speed polisher and various grit discs as per: http://www.tilersforums.com/stone-tiling-forum/18945-natural-stone-how-finish-tile-edge.html
I've seen this polisher as posted on the forum. I can barely justify the cost as I'll only be using it once...maybe the car could do with a treat?.. so you may see it on ebay later! Is it suitable? CleanMitts.com | Car Care Products| Car Care Advice | Mobile Detailing | Car Care Reviews | & Much More! - Kestrel SIM180 Rotary Polisher - (Powered by CubeCart)
5) Before I polish the edges I need a filler? (some of my cut edges do have holes in). One post recommended this:Jolly Natural Stone Glue - Straw - 125ml Makes sense?
6) Someone mentioned polishing powder? Assume I don't need that if I go down to a very fine grit?
7) When the time comes how will I restore the shine on the mechanically polished stone?

Thanks!
Scott.

S

Scott

Welcome scotster

It will all need sealing as that helps bring out the best in the stoen as well as protecting it. The honed just means its been 'honed' flat and wil b ususally be classed as honed and filled. They basically fill all the voids with a coloured filler then hone if done so its dead flat.

I wouldnt butt them togther, this isnt recommended. It really needs a grout joint, Britisih standards is 2mm on walls. If you want the edges polished you could take them to a stone mason, or a granite worktop company and they could do this for you, could work out a lot quicker and cheaper too

S

scotster

Thanks for the reply Scott. All very helpful.

Are there any thoughts on the impregnator? Will it need that before sealing? Impreganting just in the shower area or everywhere?

The eased Butt joint will have a grout gap as shown in this post. Natural Stone....how to finish tile edge. Sorry if I wasnt clear on that.

Great idea on using a company to polish up my edges. I'll get myself some prices! Would the company be expected to have some suitable void filler?

D

DHTiling

Honed is a flat finish yes, but honed is a matt finish of around 300 grit..

Stone is ground abrasively at manufacture stage and it can finish at a stage that is just back from the polished stage and is very smooth but none reflective and that is honed.. then you move up to semi polished and then a full polish which has reflection..

What you propose to do IMO is not a DIY job and if not done properly then you will have swirl marks and look horrible.. and i think you should leave a minimal joint and then either resin fill or epoxy finish but not advisable to butt tight together.

S

scotster

HI Dave. Thanks for that. What I am proposingto do is the second joint shown here (Natural Stone....how to finish tile edge. ) under the 'Eased Corner Joint' Heading or I may rig up a 45 degree jig for my saw and try the eased mitre joint. In both cases there is grout joint and they dont butt tight.

The only polishing would be done on the visible edge and not the face. Following the advice above I have found a company who will a do a factory wet polish and resin fill of the edges rather than try it myself with a rotary polisher and increasingly fine grits as advised in the same link above.

The tiles faces came mechanically polished to a high gloss and that is the finish I will be looking for on the edge.

Impregantor needed on shower area anyone?

Thanks again for everyones advice.

Reply to 7 questions about tarvertine that I never wanted to have to ask..... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi We've knocked through our kitchen and dining room and taken up old stone/porcelain tiles in...
Replies
Views
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
D
How do I drill a hole in a steel bath. Or cast iron bath. Instructions on drilling into baths...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 1779
D
Hi all, As the title implies, I've never done this before! I've absorbed some useful advice...
Replies
Views
Bubblecraft
B

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
7 questions about tarvertine that I never wanted to have to ask.....
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.