Discuss 70m2 bathroom!! in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Sean fsy

on of the largest bathrooms ive tackled, after a fire at the farm it had to be totally refurbed, unfortunately some one lost their lives in the fire. when the customers bought their bathroom tiles etc they asked the place for the name of a tiler who the they recommend, also the company in charge of the full resto project, and they also asked the joiner who done kitchen etc aswell. all 3 companies are based about 30 miles apart. Yes they all gave the one same number , MINE. so i undertook the work. bathroom was very large just short of 70m2 and the kitchen behind the propper aga cooker needed tiled aswell, just a mere 7m2.

pics:

DSCN8922.jpg

DSCN8921.jpg

DSCN8920.jpg

after:

DSCN9342.jpg

DSCN9343.jpg

DSCN9345.jpg

DSCN9346.jpg

Concealed Wall Cabinet:

DSCN9347.jpg

DSCN9356.jpg

DSCN9339.jpg

S

Scott

These tiles were fixed using dispersion adhesive and this is exactly why I no longer use this type of adhesives in bathrooms or wet areas. I do use it in kitchens but I am moving more towards cement based adhesives for every thing.
I think if the local tile supplier is specifying dispersion adhesives for bathrooms and wet areas then it is your job to educate them. If they start selling cement based adhesives instead they may even make more money in the process as well as providing a superior product.
deanotile-albums-my-pics-picture7794-image084.jpg

Makes the hack off nice and easy though!

A

aqua blue

"Makes the hack off nice and easy though!"

Good point Scottley, I'm sticking with this subject for a while longer. No pun intended.

The victorians were well known for over engineering everything. Would you prefer to do a re-tile on something that came off easier or was a nightmare to re install.
People are much more transient these days and design conscious.

I was not saying that tubbed was better than cement based adhesive, just making a point that tubbed has it's place in kitchens. If I were to do a bathroom I would use a cement based adhesive. However, that's not to say that you coudn't use tubbed with a catering standard waterproof grout and solid caulking. (not in a wet room)

Not every job needs to be around for 50 years. That's why I have a more flexible view towards materials. I still will stand by the difference in good and bad prep and installation. Just looking at the walls on that picture tells it's own story with regards to preparation. No primer, dust, installation temprature, wall/tile coverage and application make a lot of difference. Did that guy/tiler have lunch with half a wall of adhesive ready for tiling? Who knows. deanotile in that case came in on a straight forward job.

I like those!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to 70m2 bathroom!! in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
Hi guys, I have a site meeting tomorrow with the customer and father inlaw (architect) so I...
Replies
Views
M
Hello bought 3mm thich and 200x100mm glass tiles and had fitted in kitchen around June time...
Replies
Views
jlktiling
J
L
Hi guys, Im new to this forum, I am a sparky and a member of the Electricians forum, so...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 9966
D

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB