Discuss 70m2 bathroom!! in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Sean fsy

on of the largest bathrooms ive tackled, after a fire at the farm it had to be totally refurbed, unfortunately some one lost their lives in the fire. when the customers bought their bathroom tiles etc they asked the place for the name of a tiler who the they recommend, also the company in charge of the full resto project, and they also asked the joiner who done kitchen etc aswell. all 3 companies are based about 30 miles apart. Yes they all gave the one same number , MINE. so i undertook the work. bathroom was very large just short of 70m2 and the kitchen behind the propper aga cooker needed tiled aswell, just a mere 7m2.

pics:

DSCN8922.jpg

DSCN8921.jpg

DSCN8920.jpg

after:

DSCN9342.jpg

DSCN9343.jpg

DSCN9345.jpg

DSCN9346.jpg

Concealed Wall Cabinet:

DSCN9347.jpg

DSCN9356.jpg

DSCN9339.jpg

S

Sean fsy

Tubbed adhesive is not the right choice for 400x250 tiles, its not the right choice for bathrooms or wet areas. As for you finding it a "pain in the bum" mixing cement based adhesive I cant understand that at all, it takes a few minutes and your using a far superior fixing method. When you say you don't exceed 3mm with dispersion adhesives, this picture looks more like 8mm and its not the correct way to fix tiles.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v688/v16ean/tling jobs/DSCN9117.jpg

I also insist on using the adhesive I know and trust, if they want cheaper stuff then I am not fixing them, simple.

not that i have to justify any of my work to anyone:

DSCN9180.jpg

DSCN9183.jpg

DSCN9184.jpg

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
sean,i dont think anyones having a go at you mate,you have posted pics up of a number of jobs of which they look good when finished,

most of the questions directed at you have been about your adhesive choice mate and personally i would agree i wouldnt choose to use tubbed gear for some of the jobs you have done,,thats my own opinon though.

the point in the forum is for all off us to learn from each other and no one knows it all,so take it as constructive criticism mate:thumbsup: the end result your showing looks good

S

Sean fsy

these are just a few of the tubbed adhesives thats supplied to customers for me to use when fixing tiles.

ok the tub in the pic is as follows granfix multifix.

quote from tub:

READY TO USE SELF PRIMING FLEXIBLE WALL TILE ADHESIVE FOR FIXING TILES SUCH AS PORCELAIN(whats the average size of a porc tile?)GLASS, FULLY VITRIFIED, MOSAICS, LARGE FORMAT, AND CERAMIC TILES IN DOMESTIC AND COMMERCIAL USE.

high adhesion strenth,conforms to BS en 12004, easy to use, grout after 24hrs, self priming no priming required, bed thickness upto 3mm, flexible for vibration and slight movent, waterproof for showers kitchens and bathrooms.

so really they are talking utter RUBBISH and its no good for anything.

Sovereign gold star:

sovereign gold star ceramic wall tile adhesive is a brilliant white, flexible, waterproof, non slip acrylic based emulsion based adhesive designed for todays PROFESSIONAL. goldstar can be used to fix all tile types including mosaic,marble,fully vitrified, glass, can be used on plaster,render,timber,over existing tiles:yikes:, and backer boards.

new plaster,render should be thoroughly dry before tiling and should be checked for plaster scum. dusty plaster,render should be brushed down and primed with 1:4 sovereign PVA/water solution or soveregin sbr/water when used in wet areas ie in a bathroom.

usual stuff aswell like a 3mm bed thickness.

Palace Superfix. as exactly the same as the above adhesives, also states that suitable for porc tiles upto 300x300 for tiles bigger than this it will take approx 2 days longer for it to set properly (does not say it cant be used for bigger tiles just it will prolong the drying time)

so basically you can understand that for shops giving out these products its a easy option to supply it for the everyday bathroom applications. although in folks oppinions on here they are completely wrong in what they are doing. what do you suggest then, i refuse to do any job at all thats linked to a tub adhesive?

Last edited by a moderator:
A

aqua blue

You do instinctively know what's right for you. I was setting tiles to walls using BAL rapid set which has a very grainy feel to it. Cutting a fat story thin, I ran out but had some Uni Bond tubbed and the difference was huge. Much prefered using it and that speeded things up a lot. No complaints.

We all guarantee our work, thus soon learn what works. Each to their own..............

"One mans meat is another mans poison."

P

Perry

these are just a few of the tubbed adhesives thats supplied to customers for me to use when fixing tiles.

ok the tub in the pic is as follows granfix multifix.

quote from tub:

READY TO USE SELF PRIMING FLEXIBLE WALL TILE ADHESIVE FOR FIXING TILES SUCH AS PORCELAIN(whats the average size of a porc tile?)GLASS, FULLY VITRIFIED, MOSAICS, LARGE FORMAT, AND CERAMIC TILES IN DOMESTIC AND COMMERCIAL USE.

high adhesion strenth,conforms to BS en 12004, easy to use, grout after 24hrs, self priming no priming required, bed thickness upto 3mm, flexible for vibration and slight movent, waterproof for showers kitchens and bathrooms.

so really they are talking utter RUBBISH and its no good for anything.

Sovereign gold star:

sovereign gold star ceramic wall tile adhesive is a brilliant white, flexible, waterproof, non slip acrylic based emulsion based adhesive designed for todays PROFESSIONAL. goldstar can be used to fix all tile types including mosaic,marble,fully vitrified, glass, can be used on plaster,render,timber,over existing tiles:yikes:, and backer boards.

new plaster,render should be thoroughly dry before tiling and should be checked for plaster scum. dusty plaster,render should be brushed down and primed with 1:4 sovereign PVA/water solution or soveregin sbr/water when used in wet areas ie in a bathroom.

usual stuff aswell like a 3mm bed thickness.

Palace Superfix. as exactly the same as the above adhesives, also states that suitable for porc tiles upto 300x300 for tiles bigger than this it will take approx 2 days longer for it to set properly (does not say it cant be used for bigger tiles just it will prolong the drying time)

so basically you can understand that for shops giving out these products its a easy option to supply it for the everyday bathroom applications. although in folks oppinions on here they are completely wrong in what they are doing. what do you suggest then, i refuse to do any job at all thats linked to a tub adhesive?
Banks told us spend more money than we earn and buy it on a credit card i had enough sense not to many didn't did you ?

S

Spud

I would never use tubbed adhesive on porcelain no matter which brand it was, thats just my opinion after seeing a friend lose a lot of money when he tiled porcelain tiles on a commercial job with bucket sticky and the tiles were still moving after a week , he couldnt take his battens down or remove his spacers ,the builder condemned the job and he lost thousands of pounds it knocked his confidence so badly he jacked tiling in and went to work as a postman all because the tile shop had convinced him that it was okay to use

T

The D

These tiles were fixed using dispersion adhesive and this is exactly why I no longer use this type of adhesives in bathrooms or wet areas. I do use it in kitchens but I am moving more towards cement based adhesives for every thing.
I think if the local tile supplier is specifying dispersion adhesives for bathrooms and wet areas then it is your job to educate them. If they start selling cement based adhesives instead they may even make more money in the process as well as providing a superior product.
deanotile-albums-my-pics-picture7794-image084.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mikethetile

I would never use tubbed adhesive on porcelain no matter which brand it was, thats just my opinion after seeing a friend lose a lot of money when he tiled porcelain tiles on a commercial job with bucket sticky and the tiles were still moving after a week , he couldnt take his battens down or remove his spacers ,the builder condemned the job and he lost thousands of pounds it knocked his confidence so badly he jacked tiling in and went to work as a postman all because the tile shop had convinced him that it was okay to use
this is a shocking story gary
i think theres a real issue here with the advice given out by addy manufacturers
the salesman in the outlets are briefed by the reps from the suppliers
they need to trial the products to get the relevent bs accredation
i have noticed several posters asking for help stating they used pva as a primer because they read it on the tub
i also noticed that sovereign have also reccomended priming with pva above and ive read it on myself on unibond tub

experianced tilers are rejecting this as experiance has taught them otherwise

whats going wrong and who is regulating this

in the decorating game products are trialled by painters and feedback will keep products off the shelf

D

diamondtiling

These tiles were fixed using dispersion adhesive and this is exactly why I no longer use this type of adhesives in bathrooms or wet areas. I do use it in kitchens but I am moving more towards cement based adhesives for every thing.
I think if the local tile supplier is specifying dispersion adhesives for bathrooms and wet areas then it is your job to educate them. If they start selling cement based adhesives instead they may even make more money in the process as well as providing a superior product.
deanotile-albums-my-pics-picture7794-image084.jpg

Wise words that should be digested and acted on.

Well said Deano. :thumbsup:

G

Gazzer

I use tubbed gear often but it has its limits. For kitchens with ceramic tiles i see no problem....but in a kitchen i may want to finish in a day....4m2 and grout ....you cant do that with tubbed adhesive. You need drying time. Use rapid set single part adhesive and you can clean up have lunch then grout.
I agree that i am moving away from tubbed gear more now and as for the claims of tubbed gear being "Waterproof" !!!!! I think not some how....water resistant maybe :mad2:

T

The D

Well, I must admit it was a kitchen I did with Unibond/pre primed. job completed over a year ago. 4mm ceramic tiles on plaster.

I was back at the same house to paint staircase recently and checked it and it was Rock Solid and this place a had uneven walls. So tubbed can't be all that bad with good prep and setting.
The tiles in the picture were solid when I taped them and there was no cracks in the grout and the walls in the shower were not wet at all. The house was built 15 years ago so I am sorry m8 but your statement means nothing to me.

T

The D

What adhesive, how old, what prep went into that job and who 'installed' it.

That makes a whole lot of difference to any statement.
You can give a man the best paint in the world and still get a bad job. :thumbsdown:
Dispersion adhesive. 15 years old do not know the fixer or the prep but the point is it was a quality finish with sub standard materials.
(THE FINISH IS ONLY HALF THE JOB)

U

united

I use cement based addy for all jobs, Mainly because after reading information on this forum I don't want to take any chances and I feel more confident and comfortable using cement based.

I still think Sean's work is fantastic so keep it up mate :thumbsup:

It does concern me when I read a tub of Unibond adhesive in B&Q the other day and it clearly stated to prime with PVA :yikes:

Reply to 70m2 bathroom!! in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
Hi guys, I have a site meeting tomorrow with the customer and father inlaw (architect) so I...
Replies
Views
M
Hello bought 3mm thich and 200x100mm glass tiles and had fitted in kitchen around June time...
Replies
Views
jlktiling
J
L
Hi guys, Im new to this forum, I am a sparky and a member of the Electricians forum, so...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 9966
D

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB