Discuss 70m2 bathroom!! in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Sean fsy

on of the largest bathrooms ive tackled, after a fire at the farm it had to be totally refurbed, unfortunately some one lost their lives in the fire. when the customers bought their bathroom tiles etc they asked the place for the name of a tiler who the they recommend, also the company in charge of the full resto project, and they also asked the joiner who done kitchen etc aswell. all 3 companies are based about 30 miles apart. Yes they all gave the one same number , MINE. so i undertook the work. bathroom was very large just short of 70m2 and the kitchen behind the propper aga cooker needed tiled aswell, just a mere 7m2.

pics:

DSCN8922.jpg

DSCN8921.jpg

DSCN8920.jpg

after:

DSCN9342.jpg

DSCN9343.jpg

DSCN9345.jpg

DSCN9346.jpg

Concealed Wall Cabinet:

DSCN9347.jpg

DSCN9356.jpg

DSCN9339.jpg

G

Gazzer

i only ever apply adhesive to the tile, always have done, just my own way of doing things. dont dot and dab, unless theres something seriously wrong with a substrate.(not full job just the odd individual tile) like dry fitting small bathroom areas. just the way i work.
Thanks Sean i suspected as much but do you find it a slow method with 100mm tiles, i know i would. Each to there own though :thumbsup:

T

Time's Ran Out

Thanks Sean i suspected as much but do you find it a slow method with 100mm tiles, i know i would. Each to there own though :thumbsup:

I find that I always back skim this 'hand made' shaped tile to achieve full coverage of the adhesive and fix to an adhesive serrated wall!
From the pictures and fact that the wall tiling was done prior to AGA being fitted my only opinion would be the position of the decor panel.
In the bathroom a tremendous job!
Don't like the trim and mitring would have been my advice.
Great pictures and I'am sure the recommendations will continue.

S

Sean fsy

Sean are you there I must say a neat job i can see you have a talent and pride in the look of your work I was just interested to know how you got on with cement based adhesive rather than the dispersion adhesive you normally use ? :pete

i do use cement based adhesives on the odd occasion, obviously on large format tiles. i still think its a pain in the bum though. mixing, stopping mixing stopping. as i like to back butter tiles individualy(to stop mess etc) i tend to make a nice stiff mixture, probably stiffer than i should.ive actually started to weigh tiles now to make sure the sqm2 coverage doesnt exceed what it states on the tubs) for the average size bathroom i still use tubbed addy for instance on 400/250 tiles. always keep bed to 3mm and always prime correctly. can i also state that i never ever supply materials and tell the customers to get the stuff the supplier recommends. (within reason ie pre mixed grouts and floor adhesives etc)

D

diamondtiling

Tubbed adhesive is not the right choice for 400x250 tiles, its not the right choice for bathrooms or wet areas. As for you finding it a "pain in the bum" mixing cement based adhesive I cant understand that at all, it takes a few minutes and your using a far superior fixing method. When you say you don't exceed 3mm with dispersion adhesives, this picture looks more like 8mm and its not the correct way to fix tiles.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v688/v16ean/tling jobs/DSCN9117.jpg

I also insist on using the adhesive I know and trust, if they want cheaper stuff then I am not fixing them, simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gazzer

nice job mate new to this forum youve been doing it for a while as we can see and not done a two week course like some numbs thought i was the only real tiler left haway the toon :thumbsup:

What would you prefer, someone paying good money to get a decent start or Mr Diy man who goes into B&Q and buys a trowel and calls himself a tiler ?

Sadly the days of learning the trade through other tilers are almost over and this is the way forward.

Reply to 70m2 bathroom!! in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R
Hi guys, I have a site meeting tomorrow with the customer and father inlaw (architect) so I...
Replies
Views
M
Hello bought 3mm thich and 200x100mm glass tiles and had fitted in kitchen around June time...
Replies
Views
jlktiling
J
L
Hi guys, Im new to this forum, I am a sparky and a member of the Electricians forum, so...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 9966
D

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB