UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss A big flooring problem! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Aston

tiles lose there grip by either movememt or lose/insufficient bond.

the floor was laid early 2010? then tiled october 2010? i think scottley is barking up the right tree regarding sealing the floor.

thats a long time to leave the floor prior to tiling (ie to dry out), especially after the ufh had been commisioned..i personally think that the dural/ditra has lost its bond in places causing loose areas. this has caused hollow spots and the tile/tiles have been able to move up and down when walked upon and eventually debonded where the ditra has lost its grip to the screed.

thats the only thing i can think of unless alan (ajax) can read this and give his opinion on the fibers used in the screed. although fibers strengthen, if they allow no movement, then the screed can stress.

thats the best i can offer on this given the info provided
ed

Last edited by a moderator:

tommyzooom

TF
Arms
Ireland
One new floor area - the floor slab was laid in 2 'hits', but the screed was laid over the 2 at the same time. The loose tiles are all over.
Thank you

Can you clarify, was the screed built up in two layers? If any one of these layers were too thin, then it could have de-bonded.
Apart from that everything seems to have been ok, Don't be too hard on your tiler:)

W

White Room

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by hpandlou
One new floor area - the floor slab was laid in 2 'hits', but the screed was laid over the 2 at the same time. The loose tiles are all over.

Why not one hit for the floor size

K

kiwi Mark

This exact thing has happened to me I was looking to post this problem.Tiled a barn conversion in Oct sand cement screed primed with acrylic ,laid dural with my own brand ady single part flex and then laid 600x400 slate using customers adhesive( sovereign single part flex). Waited for over a month while continued to finish rest of barn ,2 wet rooms hall etc. In this time kitchen was installed and floor was fine.When returning before xmas to put a finshing seal on this is when I noticed the noise under some of the tiles.Only a few down one side of room but I think it may get worse going back to check and lift a tile.Also noticed 2 cracked tiles in identical corners either side of the slab that the aga sits on ? Strangely the hall and wetrooms are fine the only difference being I used my adhesive (granfix).I am aware that possibly the underfloor has been turned up straight away (the floor was fine before heating was turned on) need to get this confirmed.Spoke to Sovereign they couldnt help much but will come out to look but did offer me free ady ,first time Id used there product.Not looking to blame anyone yet just need a solution ,have been using all my products for years with no probs ,looking forward to replys PS screed was probably the worst I have seen all over the place.

H

hpandlou

Can you clarify, was the screed built up in two layers? If any one of these layers were too thin, then it could have de-bonded.
Apart from that everything seems to have been ok, Don't be too hard on your tiler:)
The screed was laid in one 'go' to a depth of 65mm.
I'm not being too hard at all - I know he did a good job, I just need to know what has gone wrong so it can be rectified properly. My husband is speaking to Dural to see if they can shed any light and I also intend to talk to the tile supplier as well. Will update!
Thank you

Reply to A big flooring problem! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I’m after a bit of advice. I’ve just removed the floor tiles in our on suite. After...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I am building my own house and now I'm ready to tile the floor downstairs. I have...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.