UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss A bit of a vague idea in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

willbones

Hi guys, im new here. Im curently working as a science teacher in a secondary school in the nw. I desperatley want a career change and tiling really appeals - im already a plasterer.

The thingis before i get into it, i need to have a vague idea of how much an averagley succesful tiler would earn a month. I currently take home about £1300 which is enough to cover mortgage, car, bills girlfriend etc. Do you think this is a feasable amount to earn in tiling?

L

Leatherface

You can earn much more or much less - depending upon how busy you are. No-one has a christal ball - any self employed tradesman will tell you, you have good months & bad months. Takes years to build a reputation & be in demand.
To be honest you may find it an uphill struggle for quite a while to make £1000 per month after expenses & materials. As every month goes on there are more and more tilers coming off that conveyor belt. You are gonna have to fight hard to get the work.
Don't think I'm trying to put you off - just don't beleive it will be easy to start with.
Good luck :)

L

Leatherface

Put him off ..... you've put me off!!!!

Sorry mate - Didn't mean to - just wanted him to go into it with his eyes open.
I have seen ( & personally know ) guys who have been on a course & come out feeling like they have just watched a Rocky movie - ready to pack in their job & all psyched up.
Have watched them struggle to find work
Didn't say it was impossible.
Be prepared for the worst & strive for the best, that is all that I can say. :)

G

georgetknight

just started myself this i my fourth month i am clearing after materials about 450 per week and im booked up for 3 weeks but it was really hard at the start but im just taking my time and making sure the jobs that i get are done to the highest standard possible. it is very posible to earn a lot more i beleive but thats probably when my speed picks up and i get more confident but that only comes with time.just remmember these two things 1 be your own worst critic and if it doesnt look right get it down and start again. hope that helps best of luck mate

geo

W

willbones

Hi fellas, and thanks for the replies. I fully accept that it will be a big struggle to establish ones self as a self employed tradesman, and the comment re: it taking several years to be in demand is perfectly valid. But at the moment, im in a job that consumes every waking minute - and to very little avail. I work half seven to half five, then go home and mark books till 10:00 pm. I have Saturday off and then spend all day Sunday planning lessons. All that on top of the fact that I dont actually enjoy teaching. Im 25 years old and i dont want to get to 30 and have never taken a risk. I just wanted to have an idea as to the size of the risk!!!! Basically I want to hear as many peoples views as possible, including those from the people who tried it and failed at it.

C

Concept PHT

I was a secondary teacher mate, and haven't looked back since. With the plastering, you will not be short of work.

Multi skill is the way forward here nowadays, but limit the skills you have otherwise it seems like you would be a jack of all, master at none.

I focus on the tiling and plumbing, but I am a plasterer too, along with a whole heap of other things to complement the direction I want to go in. I use the other skills as a bolt on to my 2 primary trades, but I don't advertise these.

Good luck mate :)

G

georgetknight

adding to what i said earlier on in this thread at the start when i finished my course there were days when i didnt know what to do i had posted business cards through doors had the van sign written and put some local ads in the newspaper all of the things you should do but my first paying job came from the woman behind the counter in TKMAX as i took my money out one of my business cards was ontop of it and she seen it 2 days later ensuite toilet completed and she was over the moon charged her £80 for it took me 1 day 6 m2 and her husband gave me £20 ontop for a drink i was buzzing over the moon now im going back in april to do her kitchen floor when she gets the tiles just keep the head up

geo

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to A bit of a vague idea in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

O
ive suffered for many years with bad knees and ankle afer having my leg badly broken at 18 years...
Replies
Views
swanman
S
4,858 of 4,965 people found the following review helpful 5.0 out of 5 stars Oh the shame...., 3...
Replies
Views
C
hi all, i posted this thread in the arms as i didnt want the general public to hear my rant or...
2 3 4
Replies
Views
Marksmithtiling
M
M
Iv been meeting to write this for a while but havent been in the right mood, m not trying too be...
Replies
Views
user123
U
Evening all, Quick bit about myself. I am 27 and probably about to be made redundant from my...
Replies
Views
Bling Tiling
B

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.