Discuss Absolute novice to tiling is attempting shower room, where to start ?? in the Best Bathroom Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

W

Warleyboy71

Hi all,

Having my first attempt at tiling the shower room.
As you can see from the pics, ive boarded it throughout and a mate has skimmed it for me.
Got my level for first tiles and have battoned out.
But where do i start, ive checked lots of sites and watched loadsa videos, with lots of different opinions.
As my shower going in corner, do i put full tiles from right and work left or find centre of wall and have small cuts either side.
How do i work around the rest of the walls making it look easy on the eye.All of shower enclosure to be tiled with rest of room going 5 tiles up to just where paint begins
Any advice would be really appreciated.
. IMG_4487.jpg IMG_4486.jpg IMG_4488.jpg IMG_4485.jpg

beanz

TF
Berkshire
And why you should fit the tray 1st ?
Fit tray and silicone the area where tray meets wall...SEALED !, Tank the wall, slightly overlaping tray. Extra insurance against water damage !. Tile walls with Cement based adhesive and then seal the gap between tile and tray again. Sorted.
Why not to use tubbed adhesive ?
View attachment 55604 View attachment 55605

Neale, you think he's going to be tanking? Did you read the rest of this thread!?! :lol:

Upvote 0
W

Warleyboy71

Do appreciate the advice, aint got a problem rectifying what will make a sound job, but initially wasn't explanations as to why I should not tile, just sarcastic remarks.
Ok, so now I realise I only needed top half of wall plastering, to late now and advised badly.
so if I remove skim off aqua board and scrub down to plaster on painted walls, this will benefit my tiles staying on. Also when I meant leaving the tray until last, I meant just leaving the lower tiles out, so I don't have to work around the tray.
again thanks for the help.

Upvote 0

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Yes Warleyboy we are on the right lines now..........don't forget tile adhesive comes in two kinds ready mixed and powered. Powdered is cement based and is what professionals use, it wont break down in water like water based ready mixed does.

Powdered dries by chemical reaction while ready mixed dries by evaporation through the grout joins hence why is no real use for anything other than kitchen splashbacks with small tiles.

You can put the tray in last as I do, providing the tray is sealed to the tanking. At the very least you need to get rid of the emulsion under any tiles area and tank the shower area...as for the skim over the cement board? I don't know.......I once skimmed over some old cement board where a bathroom was being moved in my own house...the old shower is now a boiler room and the plaster did hold but its not a wet area. Ideally remove it but as said you will have a step causing you more problems.

Yes....overlap tanking onto tray so it falls just behind the tile.

Upvote 0
W

Warleyboy71

Thanks bob, yea step will be a problem when I remove skim.
any idea wht is best way to remove emulsion, sanding ???
honestly unsure of tanking, just read a little on google about it, there is a kit on here recommended, might give that a try.
will take back my crappy adhesive recommended at tile choice and buy the cement based.
thanks again, wish I'd of known before plasterer had started.
ah well, learning curve and all that.

Upvote 0
I

IHB

OP I know of people who skimmed out and painted bathrooms in a dormer bungalow. Tiled the batrooms and even tiled the slope and not one tile has came loose or fallen off in over 10 years. In theory what you done wasn't perfect but I wouldn't go changing it. I'd take the the paint off that's about it.

Bet you don't know anyone that's skimmed cement backer board and tiled on that though.

Upvote 0
A

AMtek

Thanks bob, yea step will be a problem when I remove skim.
any idea wht is best way to remove emulsion, sanding ???
honestly unsure of tanking, just read a little on google about it, there is a kit on here recommended, might give that a try.
will take back my crappy adhesive recommended at tile choice and buy the cement based.
thanks again, wish I'd of known before plasterer had started.
ah well, learning curve and all that.

You could remove the plaster from the cement boards and get your plasterer to render it with rapid setting render (bal do one) but check with the technical department that you can do this as 4-5mm of render may not be enough depth to give it enough strength.

Upvote 0
S

Stef

Stef walls were plastered but I must be honest the walls were not painted to the point where you could say ooh nice colour lets leave it, it was very bitty and so maybe just got lucky cos I used ready mixed adhesive as well :sofahide:

Tubbed addy probably stuck to those walls better than a powder.
I've been to a lot of jobs that have been tiled on top of paint & they have not moved but I've also been to a hell of a lot more that the tiles have come away with minimal of effort.
Same with floors, tiled straight to chipboard & would have lasted another 10yrs but also been to floors that have only lasted a matter of weeks & I've lifted them straight off with a scraper.

Upvote 0
J

J Sid

When I worked with a very experienced tiler he had a primer, green in colour that you could put onto paint and then tile straight onto it, has anyone seen this or used it?

I work with a plasterer who uses a green primer with a sand/grit in it when he goes over painted walls. Don't know if it is suitable for tiling. Will find out what is called when i see him next.

Upvote 0
I

IHB

I work with a plasterer who uses a green primer with a sand/grit in it when he goes over painted walls. Don't know if it is suitable for tiling. Will find out what is called when i see him next.

That's the sort of stuff that I ended up using when I had to skim hardie backer board. You can use it to plaster onto surfaces that don't have enough suction & also helped with Hardie that has way too much suction. Not sure it helps for tiling on to though.

Upvote 0
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Absolute novice to tiling is attempting shower room, where to start ?? in the Best Bathroom Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Shower Tile Repair - Tile Waterproofing in Brownstown MI. Schluter wet room conversion 24h...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB