UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Advice on Re-tiling New Build Walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

chrisab

IMAG0912.jpg IMAG0910.jpg IMAG0911.jpg

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
To be honest fella weighing up the options the only deciding matter is cost.

It will take time to remove the tiles, scrap the walls and prep for fixing your new tiles. Where as if you can afford to re-board then pull the lot down, boards and tiles together. Baton and insulate the cavity (if need be) and install some tile backer rather than plasterboard. Get a tanking kit for the wet areas and away you go. You'll get a good surface to tile on and therefore a better finish and the jobs done right.

But i'd say time to do either option is about the same. So for a few sheets of your hard earned you'll put a longer life expectancy on your bathroom, and a better final finish.

C

chrisab

Hi,

Right i think I will take your advice and re-board the main wall as i will need to put some pipes in for the new shower anyway.

So I was thinking water resistant plasterboard everywhere and tanking around the shower area. (or is there a real advantage to using hardiebacker around the shower - or everywhere for that matter, obviously it will cost more).

I will also need to replace the enclosure/shelf above the bath as its rotten and mouldy (it's like a double shelf into the window). Should I replace this with plywood and the hardieback over that or will i get away with using 12.5mm hardieback as the shelf itself and tiling directly to that?

Thanks!

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
personally chris,if you are tanking it,plasterboard will be fine,and cheaper,if you want to go to the expense of hardibacker,which will not break down like plasterboard if constantly wet,get hardibacker,its great stuff,but twice the price if not more ;)

and use a good adhesive,not tubbed its rubbish, mapei proflex is a good un,and you can use on porca or ceramics

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Shelves and sills imo should be hardibacker. On a shelf there's a chance of water pooling as it can't run down the wall. Seal the grout and use the hardi to be absolutely certain your pantene has somewhere water tight and strong to sit. If any water gets through the tiles and grout on your shelf the plasterbaord is ruined.
if its that bad for plasterboard to get ruined,you would have to re do the job anyhow,and if the jobs done right,it should'nt fail ;)

the only time i have seen plasterboard get that bad is through pipe leaks,roof leaks and bad tiling,where water has been penetrating plasterboard for months.
if the jobs done right,you should have no problems with water ingress

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
thanks for the replies, much appreciated. I was going to tank all the shelf etc. as well. I've started ripping it apart and there's a metal strip on the edge of the step - i presume that is just to get a straight edge on the tiles?

Is there a cheap place on the interent to get tanking kits etc. from? I think there is a topps tiles, b&q, wickes around us buts thats about it.
if you have a look on here,at the side panel there are plenty of places you can buy tanking kits,i use tile giant,but its local to me and good lads work there who know there stuff

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Advice on Re-tiling New Build Walls in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm currently prepping a shower for tiling. One wall has been built out for the shower...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.