Guest viewing is limited

Discuss another chipboard query in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

BDS

Question/s for ya guys,this bathroom wich has 4.5m2 of this weyroc chipboard flooring,when i`d lifted to do all new pipework etc etc etc i`d noticed the joists,now as i`ve seen tons and tons of joists before,but wasn`t expecting these I joists cos never worked on new builds oldest bathroom/house i`ve ripped out was approx 8yrs old and this is only 2 years old,so is there min/max c/c joist widths and can you still put same fixings in to secure when i`ve put them back down (hardie backer going on top)only reason i`m asking is cos there was only 5 3" ring nails holding the full floor down and it was tiled on previously as well :thumbsup:

A

AllurePTS

Ok then - they are TJI's ....a highly engineered timber product that is actually STRONGER than a solid wood joist, they have far less deflection than standard joists and also designed to significantly reduce sound resonance, hence they are often called "Silent floor" or "quiet floor system" ....because of the way they are made - they can cope with much bigger spans than conventional solid joists and are often used to avoid the need for steel I beams where it's not desireable, and also just for quality / sound reduction . They will be on 600 centres (rather than the usual 400) because that's all they need to be in this particular build. You can place a nogging on the top part of the I section (the softwood header) only if you need to (to join a board say) ....do not join through the centre OSB section though ....you will NOT need to do any addittional strengthening work - this stuff is mega engineered in the same way that roof trusses are, it's fitted with steel hangers to an engineered wallplate, it's all pre calculated for each individual building and will take way more weight than it will ever realistically encounter !!!

It's a funny thing ...looks like cheap crap when you first see it, but it's far from it !!!!

So .....minimum noggins, use the correct length screws (you dont want them too long and splitting through the OSB) keep your screw lines well centred and if you need to go through them with pipes etc - make sure you only go through the CENTRE of the OSB section :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to another chipboard query in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, Quick question, when installing 6mm backer board onto a floor prior to tiling, would...
Replies
Views
Hi all, first post. I’m currently doing a job on my house where we’ve moved the kitchen and...
Replies
Views
I am tiling a bathroom floor of 3.3 sq meters. There is currently 22mm green chipboard down...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, Just a quick question regarding packing out the difference between the tile height...
Replies
Views
E
Sorry for what is probably a repetitive question but my search hasn’t found what I want….. I’m...
Replies
Views
earlm
E

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
another chipboard query
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.