Discuss Another customer falls for a so called tiler in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

diamondtiling

This was installed by a so called tiler/bathroom fitter. As you can see it was all ripped out. The shower trap was connected to nothing so the water would have poured through the ceiling, the shower screen was not fixed together so if the the customer leaned against it it would have separated which would have been very nasty indeed.
The white profiles in the corner are 20mm plastic? never saw that before.
He tiled straight onto the paint so the tiles just fell off quite easily.
20mm gaps from the wall to the floor, the floor was still wet after two weeks, he used ready mixed adhesive and grouted the same day, knelt in the shower cubicle to avoid kneeling on the tiles.
I saved the UFH but that was never going to work anyway as he didn't have a live feed to it nor did he have a switched spur anywhere in sight. Loo was bodged with silicone as was the trap/waste on the sink.
The floor was not fixed down at all in an area of 3/4 metre, he had just left it, no inserts in his pushfit plumbing, the isolater for the loo didn't work. Plus as a leaving present he used an empty tub of ready mixed as a loo, dirty bugger!
Alarm bells started ringing after 3 days with the customer but he had a long list of excuses, oh and he charged £3000 of which he received an upfront of £1800.00.
CTD very kindly supplied new tiles at cost price but a full ripout was inevitable.

see what you think....

100_2307.jpg 100_2308.jpg 100_2309.jpg 100_2311.jpg 100_2312.jpg 100_2315.jpg 100_2325.jpg 100_2330.jpg 100_2332.jpg 100_2334.jpg 100_2337.jpg 100_2338.jpg 100_2339.jpg 100_2340.jpg

Picture of a nice bendy tile at the end lol

Just have to refit the loo, have to find some wingnuts as he lost them.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Time's Ran Out

Not wishing to upset anyone on the forum who does multi trade but with all the work you've mentioned it may not have been a 'tiler'!
We've done a few jobs for a bathroom fitter ( who normally does his own tiling) and he turns out a decent job and is booked up solid!
When we've done complete bathrooms I enjoy the change and design aspect, especially being able to prepare the walls first, but I have the relevant trades available for plumbing/electrics as I believe it's every man to his own!

W

White Room

This was installed by a so called tiler/bathroom fitter. As you can see it was all ripped out. The shower trap was connected to nothing so the water would have poured through the ceiling, the shower screen was not fixed together so if the the customer leaned against it it would have separated which would have been very nasty indeed.
The white profiles in the corner are 20mm plastic? never saw that before.
He tiled straight onto the paint so the tiles just fell off quite easily.
20mm gaps from the wall to the floor, the floor was still wet after two weeks, he used ready mixed adhesive and grouted the same day, knelt in the shower cubicle to avoid kneeling on the tiles.
I saved the UFH but that was never going to work anyway as he didn't have a live feed to it nor did he have a switched spur anywhere in sight. Loo was bodged with silicone as was the trap/waste on the sink.
The floor was not fixed down at all in an area of 3/4 metre, he had just left it, no inserts in his pushfit plumbing, the isolater for the loo didn't work. Plus as a leaving present he used an empty tub of ready mixed as a loo, dirty bugger!
Alarm bells started ringing after 3 days with the customer but he had a long list of excuses, oh and he charged £3000 of which he received an upfront of £1800.00.
CTD very kindly supplied new tiles at cost price but a full ripout was inevitable.

see what you think....

View attachment 57703

Picture of a nice bendy tile at the end lol

Just have to refit the loo, have to find some wingnuts as he lost them.

Was the block walls dot and dabbed plasterboard and was they removed....

Last edited by a moderator:
As for Multi-traders (croft) ... If you are good at what you do & are backed up by references + take great pride in your work then I don't see a problem with any of it of course.

I personally don't take a certificate of course completion as a positive thing straight away anymore unfortunately..
Only because a local multi-trader to me has his certificates plastered all over his van and tells me I am wrong when looking at a bouncing wooden floor a while back on a job.. when I pulled the floor up, the joists in question didn't meet the internal walls!!
I later learnt he has no work due to such a bad reputation :lol:

C

cr0ft

LOL he sounds like a bellend. I'm not a tiler as my first trade and I know that bouncing floor and rigid tiles = disaster!!

Have just spent a whole day recently strengthening a first floor wetroom floor by blocking it solid with 4x2 timber before overlaying with 25mm plywood and floor tanking with decoupler membrane. There is no movement in that bad boy at all now but I am worried that the floor weighs more than the house!

It just goes to show that being on Rated People and other such listings is no guarantee of a job well done. However, it's easy to see how the general public are taken in by these sites.

The way is see it Rookery, is some customers think shoddy work produced by rogue tradesman looks fine,great etc...
So if they have paid for something which looks good to them even though you and I see flaws and sub-standard work they will right a review for the rogue's... (so they get away with it, with a tick!)
This is why I want to be part of the TTA, so I am properly vetted by people who know what they are talking about!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Another customer falls for a so called tiler in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Help! Advice needed please! I am in the middle of a bathroom renovation that my partner is...
Replies
Views
W
I’m thinking about compiling a list/checklist for prospective customers to ask their Tilers...
Replies
Views
Spare Tool
S
T
It’s in open forum so ‘mind your language ‘! On Monday last week I did something I’ve not done...
Replies
Views
WetSaw
W
D
Hello. I need my shower room floor tiling. Because it's a small room, no one is interested :( So...
Replies
Views
WetSaw
W
I'm a chippy, I fit a lot of kitchens and some bathrooms, inevitably I have done quite a bit of...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB