UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss any advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

E

ethascar

Hi everyone.

A very vague question here and i will try and be as descriptive as possible but i bet i won't cover every question but will try my best :thumbsup:.
I have got porcelain tiles to put up on walls and floors.
Floors first.
The tile sizes are 30x30, 45x45, 30x60,15x15 these are to be put down on plywood 9mm (as advised by tiler on thickness of ply) and onto concrete floor.
Wall tiles are 700x250 these are going onto plastered walls.
My question is what type of adhesive and grout would anybody recommened?
Oh nearly forgot where the tiles are going:oops:.
The mixed sized ones are for the hall all the way round to the kitchen, and in a wetroom as well, also in bathrooms.
Wall tiles are for bathrooms.
I hope i have covered every question that will be asked but proberly not.
Thanks everyone for looking.

E

ethascar

I knew i would not get it all.
The floors are both floorboards that i have plywooded over and concrete which i have not plyed onto.
The tiler didnt say that the 700x250 tiles would be to heavy for newly plastered walls :thumbsdown:, although some of the walls have been plasterboarded onto studwork the other walls were existing outside walls (extention old bedroom has been made into bathroom and ensuite).

nybor62

TF
rotherham
I knew i would not get it all.
The floors are both floorboards that i have plywooded over and concrete which i have not plyed onto.
The tiler didnt say that the 700x250 tiles would be to heavy for newly plastered walls :thumbsdown:, although some of the walls have been plasterboarded onto studwork the other walls were existing outside walls (extention old bedroom has been made into bathroom and ensuite).

9mm ply is not thick enough for a start imo 15-18mm ply,did he use 9mm to build up to level of concrete floor,he prob did,nt mention about weight issues with the tiles because he doesnt know.as the plaster board on the stud work been skimmed over

B

Bartlett

hi nybor62 thanks for the replies.
He came out and looked at the job and he said 9mm wil do (dont know why he said 9mm to tell you the truth maybe it was to build upto this level).
And yes the plasterboard has been skimmed over.
Im getting worried now.

British Standard for ply on a floor is 15mm minimum prior to tiling. And the skim on the plasterboard actually means you can have less weight than without the skim. But you're in the right place here; plenty of good accurate advice available on this forum.

nybor62

TF
rotherham
hi nybor62 thanks for the replies.
He came out and looked at the job and he said 9mm wil do (dont know why he said 9mm to tell you the truth maybe it was to build upto this level).
And yes the plasterboard has been skimmed over.
Im getting worried now.
plaster board and skim will only take 20kg of weight per m2. your tiles will be way to heavy, i would suggest removing the stud wall and replace with hardi backer boards.

M

mikethetile

Hi and welcome Ethescar

you did the right thing in coming here and asking these questions, the replies above are correct

theres a lot of people trading as tilers in this economic climate that lack the knowledge required

with the correct information you can test a potential tiler to see if he really is a genuine , knowledgable tiler

this tiler will cause you problems if he overboards with 9mm ply, in addition to this there are issues with tiling across a wood /concrete sub floor wich require the correct methods to deal with

E

ethascar

I live in spalding.
We have had an extention done (well kinda done we had to throw the builder off site in the end and things are getting worse and worse everyday we are finding more things wrong.
I am having to have a go at this myself as i have lost my job also and at this rate i am glad we wont be using this tiler.
What he said he would be using is.
2 part latex flexible adhesive.
Standard flexible adhesive
Standard adhesive
Flexible floor grout
Waterproof wall adhesive
Thanks everone

E

ethascar

Ok Alan no probs one room at a time ( thanks for all the help here guys)
First of all there is the hall (bungalow by the way this is) that goes all the way around to the kitchen to the right, the floor have been plyed over down the corridor then turns again at this point it goes onto self levelling compound then old tiles then the new concrete floor leading into the kitchen,(this is hard to try and explain)

The bathroom that is off the hall the floor has also been plyed over the old floor boards,(this by the way was the old bedroom) there is an outside wall that has been plastered over infront of you as you enter the bathroom, to the left is an existing internal wall that has been skimmed, then on the left there has been a studded wall put up and this has been skimmed over as well.

En/suite
Plyed over floor again with stud walls on 2 sides and 2 old exterior walls that have been skimmed over.

wETROOM IS STILL IN PROGRESS BUT THIS HAS HAD AT THE MOMENT GREEN PLASTERBOARD WETPROOF (dot and dabbed) AND THE FLOOR HAS HAD INSULATION DOWN WITH A DPM LAID OVER THE (sos about caps just noticed) top of this. this is to be concreted.
Hope this helps if not i will try again.
Cheers
Nic

Reply to any advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone. Hope you are well. I want to learn how to tile and do a fairly basic bit of...
Replies
Views
Hi all I was hoping to get your opinions / thoughts on some work done in the kitchen by the...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.