Discuss any reason why I can't preseal porcelan tiles before laying? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

2db

thanks to all the posts. I've been experimenting tonight with the topps polished porcelain tiles.

I have no intentions of doing the installation myself (I wouldn't trust anyone non-qualified to do my job, so fully intend to leave the tiling to the professionals to do a proper job!) - just trying to make sure SHMBO hasn't chosen a problematic tile that will cause grief from day one.

Have to say, having read all the issues about polished porcelain, I have been pleasantly surprised with the results (based on a few hours experimentation only). Samples of curry paste, chilli, tumeric, red wine, soy sauce, food colourings, shoe polish and grey grouting all seem to have wiped off fine having left the products on the tiles (both sealed and unsealed) for 30 minutes. I have no idea if £25sqm is cheap or not for these types of tiles (I know B&Q are cheaper, and reading this forum, I see why), but I can't complain so far with the experimentation.

It's a different matter though with the QEP wax remover that I purchased from B&Q on the way home. Still a thin film of wax left even after using neat, needing white spirit to finish off the job to get the tiles ready for sealing.

D

doug boardley

thanks to all the posts. I've been experimenting tonight with the topps polished porcelain tiles.

I have no intentions of doing the installation myself (I wouldn't trust anyone non-qualified to do my job, so fully intend to leave the tiling to the professionals to do a proper job!) - just trying to make sure SHMBO hasn't chosen a problematic tile that will cause grief from day one.

Have to say, having read all the issues about polished porcelain, I have been pleasantly surprised with the results (based on a few hours experimentation only). Samples of curry paste, chilli, tumeric, red wine, soy sauce, food colourings, shoe polish and grey grouting all seem to have wiped off fine having left the products on the tiles (both sealed and unsealed) for 30 minutes. I have no idea if £25sqm is cheap or not for these types of tiles (I know B&Q are cheaper, and reading this forum, I see why), but I can't complain so far with the experimentation.

It's a different matter though with the QEP wax remover that I purchased from B&Q on the way home. Still a thin film of wax left even after using neat, needing white spirit to finish off the job to get the tiles ready for sealing.

If you have a Tile Giant store near you, try LTP Grimex.

Reply to any reason why I can't preseal porcelan tiles before laying? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m not looking to tile the floor, but feel this forum has some really smart and helpful...
Replies
Views
    • Agree
[reposted here as it seems much more active] Hi, I’m not looking to tile the floor, but feel...
Replies
Views
Qwerty
Q
C
Hi all Hoping for some opinions on how to handle an ongoing issue in having with my tiler He...
2 3 4
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
any reason why I can't preseal porcelan tiles before laying?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.