UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss applying adhesive methods? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Martino

dot and dab is for board fixers not tilers if you can not spread an even bed the surface is not ready walk away

Why such hatred for a newbie! lol....i personally screed and blob my tiles...every job is different imo..with regards to 'you never get the cal back for a reason'....i have done work for a bbc presentor who lived in hull and moved down to london...they wanted me to go down and do there tiling there....that kinda REMOVED on that bonfire dont it lol!.

I would be more than happy for any of you to see my work and tell me why its bad?

I also have reccomendations from a leading business who deal with only top end clients.

:smilewinkgrin:

Have a great day. and stop the hatred lol!...

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mike Mike

Did this great job last week. White marble and red grout. Just used an icing bag to put the grout in then wet a cloth and gave it a wipe to clean. Easy.

Didn't bother with silicone either. Just butted up the corners at the wall etc. nice solid mdf wall and a good 6mm chipboard floor.

I agree. On occasion I have used Colgate toothpaste (the one with Whitener) to dot and dab marble to walls and floors, to grout, seal and silicone them. Anyone who has ever tried to wash dried on toothpaste from the inside of a sink will tell you, that stuff sets as hard as any Mapei product. And, if you get a box from the Pound Shop, it works out at less than half price per m2!! :8:

S

steveb

I love the threads where people ask advise, then totally ignore it asking the same questions and not wanting to hear the correct way of doing the job!
Its not even about how much a job costs or how much effort. I've seen posts saving the person time, effort and money, but still want to do it their way, most amusing.
It is a credit to the lads here that are very patient and polite.
totally agree we get the same on the plumbers forum as well

T

Tile Shop

Personallly i blob fix and also spead adhesive every job is different!...1 rule i always go by is..NEVER BLOB A FLOOR TILE!....

Why such hatred for a newbie! lol....i personally screed and blob my tiles...every job is different imo..with regards to 'you never get the cal back for a reason'....i have done work for a bbc presentor who lived in hull and moved down to london...they wanted me to go down and do there tiling there....that kinda REMOVED on that bonfire dont it lol!.

I would be more than happy for any of you to see my work and tell me why its bad?

I also have reccomendations from a leading business who deal with only top end clients.

:smilewinkgrin:

Have a great day. and stop the hatred lol!...

Before I start, I mean no offence so don't take any of this the wrong way please.

I spy a contradiction.... correct me if i'm wrong???
1st quote - never blob a floor tile.
2nd quote - screed and blob??? screed = floor term???

I'm sure no-one hates you. They just don't think you're real.

I'm not a tiler, but even I know there is no job that warrents dotting and dabbing. You say that you've been doing it for 30 years. I must admit that a few cases I have seen that have failed because of DAD, have been done younger inexperienced tilers, that have had "old-skool" teachers. You maybe had the same, you were taught wrong and the habit stuck.

If that is the case, please unlearn the habit.... Have you seen what can happen when a tile comes off the wall and lands in (not a typo) the foot of someone showering? Pretty grim. It even put a hole through the shower tray.

I'd happily come and see some of your work. But I ain't going anywhere near it without a hard-hat, toe-caps, and 5 weetabix in my belly. But I will bring a rubber mallet, a fat wallet, and put a bet on one well placed whack, bringing your theory crashing to the ground. My wallet will then leave even fatter!

Any of those jobs go wrong, YOU are liable whether you think it right or wrong.

Andrew

TF
surrey
alot of tiles i knock off reveal that they have been fixed to the wall with blobs of adhesive to the back of the tile instead of the adhesive being spread and notches on the wall.

do people use this as an alternative to notching permanent or is it only done when say walls are out etc?
what's the usual method? 4 blobs each corner and 1 in middle?

whats the dis/ advantages of this?

I did blob method on a floor once which was onto under tile heating wires , and then just made sure i squeezed plenty of grout in the joints.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to applying adhesive methods? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I'm redoing our bathroom and looking for some advice on tiling backer boards in relation to the...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Have a question about how/when best to install tile trim - probably quite basic! One...
Replies
Views
Can I ask advice please; I have MS and the worry is making me ill. The tiles are all chipped...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.