UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Apprenticeships in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Ian

Afternoon all. I mentioned earlier in the week that I was considering taking on an apprentice in the new year and just wondered if anyone who has trained an apprentice could give me any info that you think may be useful. I've had a browse of the government sites and know what minimum wages/ holiday allowance is but what I'm interested in is how do you do the training? ie, do you do 4 days on the job training and 1 day at college or just do 5 days on the job? Any input gratefully received.

Cheers Bri

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone

S

Stewart

Good on you Bri, though it is a huge commitment to take someone on as an apprentice. I do mine through the CITB, though this is more hassle than its worth to get a couple of grand out of them a year. I also do on site assessments rather than send them to college (which is a complete waste of time. Especially when one of my apprentices have far more skills and up to date knowledge than the instructor)

There's quite a big financial commitment to it too' as your basically committing yourself to paying out a minimum starting cost of £500 a month to train someone that can bugger off and setup themselves as soon as their training is over. and if you don't have any work, you still have to pay them. Plus the money from the CITB is only paid at the end of the financial year and only covers a third of the costs.

Then you have the added paperwork, additional insurance and the huge responsibility of looking after someone. In saying that, I'm on my fourth and training someone up is very rewarding. If you give CITB a call, they will give you a liaison officer and all the info you'll need.

Created on iPhone.....

U

user123

oh my god, can I be your apprentice? Kidding, of course, but what a lucky person that person would be, you'd be great to learn from and work with! A friend of mine has had a couple of apprentices, treated them really well, but to be honest, they trampled all over him (architectural building trade, unusual, nice jobs, all over the country, France, too) so he was pretty cut up about it, starting off all idealistic and then being let down when he neither expected nor deserved it. I don't know enough how you can safeguard yourself, but do look into it very carefully. You're on a nice roll right now aren't you. Do your homework with this, look at the worst case scenario and then see if you reckon you can handle it. You might be really lucky and good at it?

I

Ian

Ive got my wife's younger brother with me for a couple of days next week (half term), he has expressed quite an interest in learning the trade so if it goes well and he enjoys it, he'll be starting with me full time in June after his GCSE's. He's a nice down to earth lad and a hard worker so hopefully I'm on the right track. Once I show him the dewalt and the rubi's he'll be hooked :lol: I had a sort out of my tools earlier and I think my 1800 level needs a new bubble...........

S

Stewart

Ive got my wife's younger brother with me for a couple of days next week (half term), he has expressed quite an interest in learning the trade so if it goes well and he enjoys it, he'll be starting with me full time in June after his GCSE's. He's a nice down to earth lad and a hard worker so hopefully I'm on the right track. Once I show him the dewalt and the rubi's he'll be hooked :lol: I had a sort out of my tools earlier and I think my 1800 level needs a new bubble...........

I sacked my nephew and I'm not kidding....... Having family working for you brings a new set of potential problems! And with it being the wife's younger brother...... Possibly a lot of time in the spare room or on the sofa ....

Created on iPhone.....

I

Ian

I sacked my nephew and I'm not kidding....... Having family working for you brings a new set of potential problems! And with it being the wife's younger brother...... Possibly a lot of time in the spare room or on the sofa ....

Created on iPhone.....

Ive already read the riot act (in the nicest possible way), if anyone wants to poke their nose in they know what response will be coming their way! I'll be very fair, both in terms of opportunities and earnings, so if the family want to spoil that for him then so be it.

Reply to Apprenticeships in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys, new to the forum and after some advice if possible. Without boring you with my life...
Replies
Views
Ladies & Gents, My son has been offered an interview for a tiling apprenticeship, its 4 yrs and...
2 3 4
Replies
Views
WetSaw
W
Do any of you guys have an apprentice? I see threads quite often where established tilers...
Replies
Views
F
Good evening all. I need to tile the kitchen floor over the bank holiday weekend. We are having...
Replies
Views
Futuregrout
F
R
Hi all Basically i'm just after some advice. I'm a 24 year old who's worked in the same office...
Replies
Views
S

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.